Burnitz to Cubs deal almost done - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnitz to Cubs deal almost done

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Burnitz to Cubs deal almost done

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:47 am

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/ ... TE=DEFAULT

Ronald Blum - AP Sports writer wrote:To replace some of Sosa's power, the Cubs neared an agreement with free-agent outfielder Jeromy Burnitz on a one-year contract with a mutual option for 2006. That deal wouldn't be finalized until the Sosa trade is completed.

What are your reactions - especially from Cubs fans?

That basically means Detroit is the only team intersted in Maggs left...
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Registered_Guest » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:25 am

I've wanted Sosa gone for 2 seasons now, but I'd rather tolerate him than Jeromy "I've hit over .251 once in the past 5 seasons" Burnitz.

I hate it & I will throw beer on Burnitz in right field if he's there on Opening Day. The guy is a career loser, who never has nor ever will win a thing. The Cubs should be giving the farm for Huff, not screwing around with the typical Milwaukee Brewer scrub (a mediocre hitter with power that'll K in every clutch situation & pad his stats by homering in blowout games).

Jim Hendry should be embarrassed if his OF on Opening Day is Hairston/Dubois, Patterson and Burnitz.

Now I'll tell you how I really feel....
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:31 am

If you sign Burnitz, he'll probably be your best OF... I wouldn't complain that much. It's sad, but probably true.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:32 am

Settle down. The Cubs chances will have little to do with their outfield and more to do with how their arms hold up.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:10 am

I would hope that the Cubs would still be interested in Maggs, even if they sign Burnitz. I wouldn't mind an OF with Maggs, Patterson, Burnitz/Hariston/Dubois/Hollensworth it would give them nice Depth in the OF.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:59 am

I'll thank the Cubs for taking away another cruddy option for the Pirates to pick up... :-/ ;-)

The Pirates still got cash to spend (5-7 million supposedly). I'd personally love to see them go after Ordonez, but they have as much chance of doing that as them going after me to play for them. :-)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:27 am

Registered_Guest wrote:The Cubs should be giving the farm for Huff

The Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub30.html) first reported and ESPN 1000 in Chicago re-iterated this morning that LaMar will be asking for Zambrano in return for Huff.

If Hendry can give the farm I'm sure he'll make the deal, but everyone knows the best pitcher on the Cubs staff :-D is not going anywhere.
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:39 am

I just don't see the upgrade for Burnitz over Holly and or Dubois. It just doesn't make sense to sign another .250 hitter who k's 150 times a year.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:41 am

:-P
Isn't Burnitz pretty much Sosa light anyway? I'm going to keep saying it until the Cubs hear it. You don't need another all or nothing power hitter. You need a guy that can get on base.

I'm a Cards fan but it is really sad to me what the Cubs have done this offseason. Clement, Alou and Sammy left and Burnitz is only one they bring in. No bullpen help and no leadoff hitter. :-t :-t
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby Woolly » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:08 am

Well if Burnitz signs off to the Cubs and Maggs signs with the Tigers, that would be the last of the relatively big fish left in the sea.
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers