Bonds surgery? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds surgery?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:18 pm

lesgrant wrote:Why is it that Bonds isn’t a injury risk after getting his knees scoped but Randy Johnson is after playing an entire season on his?

Becaue Randy Johnson's "injury risk" was just a lame excuse by the people who didn't draft him last year because they didn't understand that the surgery he had to remove cartiledge is not as big of a deal as it sounds. He has a fluid filled knee rather than cartilage...it's really not much different. He just has to get a refill every now and then from the way I understand it.
Last edited by slomo007 on Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:21 pm

Many think RJ will fall off too. However, even if Barry's numbers fall he's still a dominating player... when he's in action.
However, if Barry doesn't play a full season and you've drafted him at say #5, is it worth it? I'm not saying don't draft Barry if he's # 12, but maybe shy away from him in the first 6-8 picks???
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby eftda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:39 pm

San Jose Mercury News reports that Bonds will miss most of ST, but the Gaints say its for the best since Bonds tried too Hard in Spring Training.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:04 pm

slomo007 wrote:This year is the true test of Bonds' health and mentality. First the steroids and now this? If he's ever going to fall apart, now's the time. I'm not saying he will, in fact he probably won't, but that's a risk that I'm not going to take unless he falls way too far.

Agreed... If he falls to the 2nd round, I'll be glad to draft him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rockchalk » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:49 pm

Garry26 wrote:The new rules make it difficult for him to take his roids n' cream w/o getting caught.

You have a decision to make:
1- Is most of his talent due to his roids n' cream? If it does, he's a has-been w/o the steroids and he wont be nearly as good as he was.

2- Or will he be OK w/o them? If the roids dont have much to do with his numbers, he should drop a spot or two, but still be a great hitter.

3- If he continues taking his roids 'n cream, will he get caught? Its sad, but its true. Its not cheating unless you get caught. If he continues taking steroids despite the new rules, and doesnt get caught, he will be a monster. Its up to you to gamble on whether he will continue to take them, get cuaght, or stop all togeter.

Base your decision on the answers to these questions.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that Bonds was tested like everyone else last year and passed all 6 tests both in season and out. Was 73 juice induced? Absolutley. But the .340-45-100-100 and 200 BB is not. And those numbers have been consistent for the last two years. To expect anything less than the same MVP season would be foolish. Especailly for anyone in points leagues, or leagues that use OBP, OPS or SLG as a catergory.
rockchalk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tvv44 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:57 pm

Many think RJ will fall off too. However, even if Barry's numbers fall he's still a dominating player... when he's in action.
However, if Barry doesn't play a full season and you've drafted him at say #5, is it worth it? I'm not saying don't draft Barry if he's # 12, but maybe shy away from him in the first 6-8 picks???

If think Bonds will be fine. He's one of the best conditioned athletes in the world. If OBP is a category in your league - Bonds will win that category hands down for your team. I just hope he's available for me to draft in the 1st round of my league.
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers