Which first baseman would you rather have for next season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which first baseman would you rather have for next season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:55 am

ortiz is the one that's overrated:
teix/thome (can't go wrong with either)
ortiz
delgado
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Knight3000 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:58 am

Thome
Ortiz
Texeira
Delgado
Knight3000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby shortsavage » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:09 am

David Ortiz and Mark Teixeira are neck and neck in my books, Ortiz having a slight advantage.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:13 am

Thome is the guy in my book!
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 470)

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:22 am

Ortiz
Tex
Delgado
Thome

You really can't go wrong with any of these guys, and I'd probably grab the one that falls furthest in the draft or can be picked up cheapest in auction.

Ortiz put up by far the bext numbers of the bunch last year. He plays on a stacked line-up that will guarantee him lots of RBI and run opportunities. There are some concerns about his shoulder, though. Watch him in pre-season ball.

Tex is primed for a great season. He plays in a great hitters park and also on a stacked line-up. He's had only 2 seasons in the majors, though, and could easily regress. Pitchers could figure him out. He strikes out a lot. Plus, even in his great second half last year, he batted only 284 and only 234 in September. To me, that shows he's gonna have a hard time making a run for 300, although a lot of people think he can do it.

Delgado is going to a less favorable hitters park, but to a stacked line-up. Even 35 HR (which is below his historical output) he should be good for 115+ RBI. Plus, I'm not sure Pro Player is as bad a park for hitters as people think. A number of Marlins (Pierre and Lowell for example) actually have better numbers at home. Pavano's road numbers were considerably better. Delgado's lefty power might be a nice fit there, and if so watch out.

Thome can slug with the best of them, but he's usually low on at-bats and can be inconsistent. It's unlikely he'll hit for average either. He's also the oldest of the four by 3 years.

IMO, Delgado is the value pick here. Lots of people are scared to death of Pro Player, so you should be able to pick him up cheap. People are also focusing on his injury-prone 2003, but he bounced back after missing a month and hit 305-43-62-22 after the all-star break. IMO, he's a lock for 275-95-115-35 and most likely will post something like 285-105-125-40.

By contrast, Tex is will probably go sky-high in the draft, making him the least value pick here.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers