Randy Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Randy Johnson

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:09 pm

do you think he will be able to stay healthy this year? what kind of projections do you guys have for him? Would anyone actually be willing to spend a late 1st round pick on him like a lot of rankings are saying he should be taken?

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:13 pm

18-9, 3.03 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 262 K's

BTW, love the sig ;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:20 pm

lol thanks, the big lebowski is a great flick.

RJ is going to make it to my pick in the 2nd round (10 team H2H), i have the 3rd pick that round, you guys think i should grab him ? I'm getting tejada with my 1st round pick.
Last edited by tuff_gong on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:21 pm

If he won 25 games with a sub 2.00 ERA, a WHIP below 1.00 and 300 k's I wouldn't be at all suprised. Nothing about this guy surprises me anymore. Really, in all honesty, if he can do what he did last year playing for Arizona, he's capable of putting up anything this season.

Is he a legit 1st rounder this season? For sure, possibly justify taking him as high as No. 3.

Could he break down this season? Of course, but again, given what he did on one good leg last year, and the guy's obvious freakish physical stature and abilities, why is that any more likely to happen than what I said in my first sentence.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:27 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:If he won 25 games with a sub 2.00 ERA, a WHIP below 1.00 and 300 k's I wouldn't be at all suprised. Nothing about this guy surprises me anymore. Really, in all honesty, if he can do what he did last year playing for Arizona, he's capable of putting up anything this season.

Is he a legit 1st rounder this season? For sure, possibly justify taking him as high as No. 3.

Could he break down this season? Of course, but again, given what he did on one good leg last year, and the guy's obvious freakish physical stature and abilities, why is that any more likely to happen than what I said in my first sentence.

Reminds me of how people talked about him after the 2002 season. And we know how that tunred out in 2003. And now he's 2 years older with a bum knee. Of course he can be the best SP in baseball... but I wouldn't bet the farm on him. 18th pick overall? Yeah I would do that.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:33 pm

In a one-year league, I wouldn't put up too much of an argument taking him in the first round. However, in a keeper league is something else. He doesn't completely dominate one category more than someone else (unlike Bonds and OPS), so I wouldn't feel justified taking him for the short period of time he'll be around.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Balco » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:22 pm

With the Yankees offense behind him im thinkin about 21-9 265 k's
3.30 era

-Balco ;-D
Balco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:22 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:If he won 25 games with a sub 2.00 ERA, a WHIP below 1.00 and 300 k's I wouldn't be at all suprised. Nothing about this guy surprises me anymore. Really, in all honesty, if he can do what he did last year playing for Arizona, he's capable of putting up anything this season.

Who was the last guy before Pedro to have a sub 2.00 ERA as a starter? I dont think Randy will go sub 2.00.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:29 pm

No neither do I. I was giving an extreme example of what he could conceivably do.

An ERA of 2.01 is far more likely ;-7
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:35 am

RJ was the most dominant SP in baseball last year, despite playing in a good park for hitters. His numbers were video-game.

There's lots of whining about his bum knee, but it didn't effect him at all last year and I see no reason why it would in 2005. Hell, his numbers got BETTER as last season wore on. How about 2.29/.99 with 40 K and only 6 walks in 35 innings in September? Or 2.45/.80(!) with 62K(!) and 8 BB in 44 IP in August? Plus, he finished in October with 1.13 ERA in 8 IP. Jesus. That shouldn't be legal. RJ should be in a cell with Michael Jackson.

Plus, I'm not aware of ANY pitcher who is not suffering from some ailment or injury. Will he break down at some point? Sure. But he's still throwing 95+ consistently with amazing control. He apparently keeps himself in great shape with year-round workouts (like the Rocket). What more can you want from the guy?!

Yankee stadium is a good park for lefty pitchers. He'll have great run support and relief pitching. If ever there was a pitcher with a lock for 20 wins, this is it. I'm projecting something like 21-275-2.90-1.05 but that would be considerably WORSE than he posted last year (other than wins). Nothing would surprise me with this guy. He could go 25-300-2.5-.90. He's a freak. Besides, when was the last time the AL East saw something like RJ's nasty stuff? I would say not since Pedro pre-2004. And we know what insane numbers Pedro put up . . .

In a non-keeper draft, I think you'd be foolish to pick any pitcher before RJ. Even in keeper drafts, he's still the first or second pitcher I'd take. His upside for 2005 is just too phenomenal, and even with a regression he'll still be a fantasy stud for a few more years.
Last edited by Secret Avatar on Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers