Yan or Strickland to the Mets? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yan or Strickland to the Mets?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yan or Strickland to the Mets?

Postby Arlo » Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:41 am

Anybody else heard all the rumors flying around? Either trade would be interesting from a fantasy perspective, but I'm not sure either one will happen (although a deal involving Strickland would seem to make more sense).

Anyway, if Strickland goes, Herges starts looking pretty good in Montreal. If Yan is shipped to NY, it's much less certain who would inherit the less-than-plentiful supply of saves in TB.

Perhaps the most important question is whether all this talk indicates a lack of confidence in Benitez, as some seem to think. So far, I'm not buying this...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

The Mets Closer

Postby Chicago » Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:36 pm

There is no question in New York as to who the Mets closer is, at least according to good ol' boy Peter Gammons, and that's Benitez. The real question the Mets have is their middle relief. So really, any kind of trade revolving the Mets and relievers should be looked at in that light. I do agree that a trade involving Strickland would make more sense, altough not really from the Expos point of view. Strickland is a 25 year-old prospect, so what sense would it make to trade him unless they were dumpnig his salary? I don't know what his salary is but I doubt he makes all that much. However, we must consider the Bud Selig factor. The world is slowly discovering what I've known all along, that Bud Selig is about as seedy a guy as they come, and I wouldn't put it past him stocking big markets teams to increase revenues. Oh yes, he is an evil puppet master, that one. Lying to congress like that...for shame Bud, for shame.

As to who would be the Devil Rays or Expos relievers if either should leave, I don't know.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:05 pm

For the Expos, it would probably be Herges, and Colome might inherit the saves in Tampa Bay. All this is just conjecture, though.

Interesting point about the Selig factor. This certainly bears watching...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:03 pm

Well, it's official: Strickland is headed to the Mets, and Bruce Chen heads to Montreal. herges would now seem to be the Expos' first option in save situations.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Nice

Postby Chicago » Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:17 pm

You were right on with this one. The Montreal Expos website said Herges was stepping into the closer role for the Expos. I imagine Strickland becomes somewhat worthless now unless your league counts holds, or Benitez goes down.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers