Help with a Keeper for a Points League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help with a Keeper for a Points League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help with a Keeper for a Points League

Postby yeyo44 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:12 pm

So I have to make my decision on a keeper soon. I'm in a pitcher friendly points league, and my first opinion was to keep Kerry Wood, but more and more that is changing. I have narrowed down my potential keeper list to these name, please help!!!

1. David Ortiz
2. Carlos Lee
3. Kerry Wood
4. A J Burnett
5. Mariano Rivera

Any ideas?
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrimeDog » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:15 pm

So you only get to keep one? If so I'd probably go with Ortiz even in a pitcher friendly system. Rivera is your best pitcher and I'm into keeping closers, especially if you only get one keeper.
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:16 pm

You are going to have to post the point system if you want anything more than a guess. Ortiz looks like the best player but it depends on the scoring. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Re: Help with a Keeper for a Points League

Postby red » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:20 pm

yeyo44 wrote:So I have to make my decision on a keeper soon. I'm in a pitcher friendly points league, and my first opinion was to keep Kerry Wood, but more and more that is changing. I have narrowed down my potential keeper list to these name, please help!!!

1. David Ortiz
2. Carlos Lee
3. Kerry Wood
4. A J Burnett
5. Mariano Rivera

Any ideas?

I would keep them in this order:
Burnett
Wood
Lee
Ortiz
Rivera

Thinking being: Pitching friendly keeper, I like Burnett better than Wood long and short term; although it's close. They're both about as K-prone and walk-prone as each other, I like Burnett's ballpark and offense better than Woods right now though.
Lee, simply younger and less-overweight than Ortiz. Ortiz is in a better ballpark. Pretty much even; wouldn't disagree if someone went the other way.
Rivera: his numbers are going one way, everyone else's on the list are going the other. In a keeper league, I'd always go with the guy on the upside than the downside.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby yeyo44 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:22 pm

The scoring system goes like this for pitchers:

Win 10 points
Loss -5
K 1
1/3 ing 1
Walk -1
Save 10
BS -5

And then more points for CG's, CGSO, no hitters and perfect games.

For hitters:

Hit 1 Point
Walk 1
K -1
2B 1
3B 2
HR 3
RBI 1
Run 1
Error -1
SB 2
CS -1

And then more points for cycles.

Thanks again guys.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:29 pm

With that scoring system any pitcher that throws 200 innings is going to be more valuable than 90% of the hitter. Ortiz is a stud but you want to stack your team with the best SP.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby yeyo44 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:32 pm

I know..that is why I was looking at Wood, but he really scares me this year for some reason. I like AJ Burnett alot, but is he ready to be a keeper like that, not sure yet.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby K-Y Jellys » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:54 pm

Thats the basic Sandbox scoring system and I have used it for about 6 years now. I would keep Wood. With the bonuses for Ks, innings and CG's I think he's your best bet. Mariano Rivera would be my second choice.
K-Y Jellys
GO CATS!
K-Y Jellys
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby yeyo44 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:04 pm

And that is who we use. Wood does seem like the most obvious choice with MO second, but there is something about AJ or Oritz that I like.
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acapulco » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:27 pm

It would help if you indicated the size of the league. For example, in an 8-team league there are enough rps to go around for everybody, but in a 12-team league, Rivera would be a no-brainer for me.

I understand your hesitation about Wood and AJ. Their injury histories would make anyone nervous. I play in a keeper fp league and I'd give serious consideration to Ortiz. There are not as many premium first basemen as there used to be. After Pujols and Helton, Papi has to be right up there. Again...what size league?
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers