Roto vs HtH drafting........ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto vs HtH drafting........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto vs HtH drafting........

Postby bjmc123 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:16 am

I am very familiar with drafting in a roto style league but have entered a HtH league for the first time. The categories are normal 5x5 plus walks and total bases for hitters and holds and innings pitched for the pitchers.....Many thanks in advance for opinions...
bjmc123
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

my strategy

Postby baseball_playa18 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:21 am

for the most part i dont change my draft strategy when im draftng for roto or h2h and i always finish at or near the top in both leagues.
You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. -Jim Bouton

Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once.
baseball_playa18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:50 am

I think the strategies between h2h and roto are vastly different - most people will tell you that. At the same time, my draft strategy is affected. First I would recommend you put your league scoring setup into a value calculator - not necessarily for the rankings, but more to get an idea how those extra cats affect each player.

That said - I would consider punting on or two cats in a h2h league and loading up on the others in their place. For instance - you can punt saves and load up on sluggers and SPs when you would normally grab a closer. Then you can get much cheaper yet similarly valueable middle relief pitchers later in the draft. They will help as much in the %s and Ks yet get you holds instead of saves. Now you will have better hitting or SPs at the expense of saves, but thats a small price to pay when it helps you in 7 cats while only hurting you in 1.

Im sure you know why punting cats in roto is a bad strategy.

Hope this helps - and by the way - Welcome to the Cafe. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ed Whitson » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Load up on guys who play regularly and don't take days off every week or two. At bats is key. Stay away from injury risks because if you lose a player for 3 or 4 days in a week in a H2H format, you've lost that week. Also, in a league which counts walks, Bonds is a god. If you get a high pick and he's there, grab him and don't worry about the steroid stuff.
Ed Whitson
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:49 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I think the strategies between h2h and roto are vastly different - most people will tell you that. At the same time, my draft strategy is affected. First I would recommend you put your league scoring setup into a value calculator - not necessarily for the rankings, but more to get an idea how those extra cats affect each player.

That said - I would consider punting on or two cats in a h2h league and loading up on the others in their place. For instance - you can punt saves and load up on sluggers and SPs when you would normally grab a closer. Then you can get much cheaper yet similarly valueable middle relief pitchers later in the draft. They will help as much in the %s and Ks yet get you holds instead of saves. Now you will have better hitting or SPs at the expense of saves, but thats a small price to pay when it helps you in 7 cats while only hurting you in 1.

Im sure you know why punting cats in roto is a bad strategy.

Hope this helps - and by the way - Welcome to the Cafe. ;-D

great advice...also in h2h i like to load up on some innings eating pitchers such as livan or colon or even the middle relief pitchers that will get around 100 innings or so.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby daweasle » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:04 am

agree with the last three posts - and for a head to head league - I would seriously consider punting SB. It's the one category that doesn't really go along with another(except maybe runs)

but for instance you get all power hitters - they're going to get more total bases, more rbi and probably as many runs or close. And usually the guys who get alot of walks are the power hitters -

basicaly I'm saying if you want to punt any category on offense - do SB.

(punting head to head makes perfect sense - because if you can consistenly win lets say 5 of the 7 hitting cats and 4 of the 7 pitching cats then you're going to win 9-5 nearly every week.)

Of course you'll have a bad week once in a while - but occasionally you'll have a really good week too and over the long haul you'll come out in the top 3 or 4 nearly guaranteed. And in the playoffs - it's all about the 6-5 win. A Win is a win in the playoffs.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Return to Baseball Leftovers