Second Base Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Second Base Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:39 pm

Yeah, I am no fan of Soriano, but if someone picks Vidro over Soriano then well....look out for the guys with the funny jacket.

You can argue whether Soriano is massively ovverated and not worthy of 1st or 2nd round consideration pretty easily (he is not IMO). To argue Giles over him is dubious at best. To argue Vidro? I would argue Kent or Loretta over Vidro. Vidro is an OK player if healthy (and his brittleness is also in question). He is no Soriano.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lime » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:46 pm

In a league that uses OPB, how can you not be bothered by Soriano's career .323? Yes he'll hit 30 homeruns, yes he'll drive in 90, yes he'll steal 25, and he'll probably slug around .500.

It's probably just me, but I'd rather have a guy who's not going to hurt me anywhere, but still score 100, hit 20 homers, and drive in 75-80 runs.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:06 pm

All that may be true, but value is value. The difference in OPS is going to hurt you and I would totally agree that a better value pick is someone like Kent in rounds 6-8 or Loretta whereever he ends up going.

It has been discussed on this ite before and indeed I brought up the question of Soriano not being worthy of first round consideration. I do not think he is and in an OPS league, I think he case is indeed stronger. Still, if you are not a Soriano believer you should not draft him and let soneone else take him. It does not mean you rank Vidro over him though...there is a difference.

Where you will draft a player and what he is being valued at and will likely go for are two entirely differemt things. If you feel Soriano is overvalued by your other owners or feel uncomfortable with the risk/reward ratio, then you by pass him and go to the next best player on the board...not pick Vidro based on the position.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:07 pm

RE: Utley

He will start. Philly assumed they wouldn't even have Polanco, but he unexpectedly accepted their token arbitration offer. He is the unwanted pregnancy of the Phillies and he will get ABs, but there won't be a platoon unless Utley shoots himself in the foot........literally.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Lime » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:20 pm

RugbyD wrote:RE: Utley

He will start. Philly assumed they wouldn't even have Polanco, but he unexpectedly accepted their token arbitration offer. He is the unwanted pregnancy of the Phillies and he will get ABs, but there won't be a platoon unless Utley shoots himself in the foot........literally.

Ok thanks. Do you know where he'll hit in the lineup?
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:36 pm

Lime wrote:
RugbyD wrote:RE: Utley

Ok thanks. Do you know where he'll hit in the lineup?

2 or 5-7 is my guess
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Lime » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:06 pm

shortsavage wrote:Orlando Hudson is pretty high, considering he has barely been able to hold onto his job.

For the last two seasons he's been the clear everyday second baseman and he's never been jeopardy of losing that. Granted, that has a lot to do with the fact he's the best defensive 2B in the whole game (got screwed out of a Gold Glove last year), but his hitting has been really been picking up. He'll be even better now that he's almost assured a top 2 spot in the order. Maybe I'm being a homer but I expect big things from him this year.

Ryan Freel is another guy who could easily be in a utility role, he should not be in your top 20.

Cincy would be crazy not to have him in the lineup every day. He's the ideal leadoff man who gets on base a lot and has great speed.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:10 pm

Lime wrote:Cincy would be crazy not to have him in the lineup every day. He's the ideal leadoff man who gets on base a lot and has great speed.

He's actually the 5th OFer and the primary backup IFer. I would expect, that until injury strikes, he'll play in 2-3 games/week. Assuming injury strikes somewhere, his role will change...although Wily Mo has the first shot if it's an OFer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Lime » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:20 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Lime wrote:Cincy would be crazy not to have him in the lineup every day. He's the ideal leadoff man who gets on base a lot and has great speed.

He's actually the 5th OFer and the primary backup IFer. I would expect, that until injury strikes, he'll play in 2-3 games/week. Assuming injury strikes somewhere, his role will change...although Wily Mo has the first shot if it's an OFer.

I've got him pencilled in as the everyday 3B. Don't tell me Joe Randa's "decent power bat" is ahead of him. The way I look at it, the Reds already have enough pop with Griffey (if healthy), Dunn, Casey, and Kearns. They ought to put more thought into who's setting the table for those guys in the 1-2 slots, and IMO it should be Freel and Jimenez.

Freel is too good to be a bench player. If they don't want him to play they should trade him.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcmahojl » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:28 pm

Why so high on Vidro? How about Soriano, Kent, and Lorretta for the top three? With your categories, Lorretta is extremely valuable.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers