Second Base Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Second Base Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Second Base Rankings

Postby Lime » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:13 am

Now I know most of you will go ape when you see these but just bear with me. These are very much subject to change, I just need your convincing input.

I'll say it again. I'm dealing with a H2H league on Yahoo. R, HR, RBI, SB, OPB, SLG are the categories. This time I made sure everyone on the list will have 2B eligibility on Yahoo.

Top 40:

1. Marcus Giles ATL
2. Jose Vidro WAS
3. Alfonso Soriano TEX
4. Jeff Kent LA
5. Mark Loretta SD
6. Bret Boone SEA
7. Orlando Hudson TOR
8. Ray Durham SF
9. Jose Reyes NYM
10. Placido Polanco PHI
11. Juan Uribe CWS
12. Mark Bellhorn BOS
13. D’Angelo Jimenez CIN
14. Chris Burke HOU
15. Chone Figgins ANA
16. Luis Castillo FLA
17. Ryan Freel CIN
18. Brian Roberts BAL
19. Michael Cuddyer MIN
20. Junior Spivey MIL
21. Todd Walker CHC
22. Aaron Miles COL
23. Alex Cintron ARI
24. Mark Grudzielanek STL
25. Keith Ginter OAK
26. Ty Wigginton PIT
27. Omar Infante DET
28. Ronnie Belliard CLE
29. Scott Hairston ARI
30. Fernando Vina DET
31. Tony Womack NYY
32. Adam Kennedy ANA
33. Freddy Sanchez PIT
34. Luis Rivas MIN
35. Chase Utley PHI
36. Bill Hall MIL
37. Jose Castillo PIT
38. Ruben Gotay KC
39. Frank Menechino TOR
40. Jamey Carroll WAS

I know almost everyone has Soriano undisputably at #1. He would be #1 on my list too if not for his OBP, which is a liability to any team in a league that uses that stat. Because of that he drops in favour of Giles and Vidro, two guys who are good at every category in my league. (Well, Vidro isn't much of a base stealer but that doesn't make him a liability).

And I hear a lot of hype around Chase Utley, but don't see where he's going to play unless Polanco or Bell sit on the bench, which they shouldn't be doing.

And I know you'll be dumbfounded by Hudson's #7 ranking, but like I said in another thread, he has breakout year written all over him.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukjohn » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:29 am

Roberts at 18? :-t
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:47 am

ukjohn wrote:Roberts at 18? :-t

yea, how can he be that low?
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tiger spit » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:29 am

is your name Chris Burke ? you have yourself or burke himself listed at 14. :-?
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:47 am

yay! Lime. another rank for us to pick apart. }:-)

i'll start with agreeing with you in one thing. orlando hudson. i actually have him at #9 for 2B this year. ;-D yeah, alright, i'm in canada. :-D

i don't like vidro at #2, but you have explained yourself, but i still don't like it! :-[

the utley case...he'll play. philly will find a way for him to play. i actually remember another thread saying what they were gonna do with polanco and bell, but i can't remember what, just know that they were gonna let utley play.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:52 am

If your rankings are based upon a league including OBP how could Loretta be ranked so low. His .391 OBP reigns supreme among second-baseman, and his slugging percentage is higher than Soriano's (bet you didn't know that :-D ). He's also virtually a lock for 100 runs in a San Diego lineup that includes four other former all-stars. Kent enters a relatively weak Dodger lineup in a terrible hitters park.

I'd also move Roberts up a bunch.

Like the Hudson pick ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:17 am

I'd like to see anyone who dare select Jose Vidro over Alfonzo Soriano come close to winning their fantasy league. You could not even begin to justify that ordering in my mind.

Orlando Hudson is pretty high, considering he has barely been able to hold onto his job.

Placido Polanco is quite high, taking into account that there is a very good chance that he will not be starting going into the season.

I don't mind Burke at 14. It looks like he will start in Houston, and it doesn't take much to be a top fantasy 2B.

Ryan Freel is another guy who could easily be in a utility role, he should not be in your top 20.

I think Spivey will rebound in 2005, a nice sleeper.

Omar Infante is so underrated. If you are stuck late in your draft without a 2B, he is fantasy starter material.

You have Belliard a little to low for my tastes too.

Once you do a little research you will see that odds are Utley will be starting for Philly, then you will move him up about 20 spots on your cheat sheet.

It's good that you are doing such an in-depth list. It is also good that you recognize that your rankings are still rough.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Lime » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:22 pm

NY Yankees Fan 2004 wrote:
ukjohn wrote:Roberts at 18? :-t

yea, how can he be that low?

Well I was talking about how poor on base guys will get affected in my rankings despite anything else they're good at, it's kind of the same situation with Roberts. Only, his lack of pop (SLG) makes him a liability in a way, and his mediocre OBP isn't enough to justify it.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lime » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:26 pm

maloze wrote:is your name Chris Burke ? you have yourself or burke himself listed at 14. :-?

Look at his AAA numbers. He was an asset in everything. I know you can't translate AAA numbers to Major League numbers easily, but I just have a good feeling about Burke.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lime » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:30 pm

davidmarver wrote:If your rankings are based upon a league including OBP how could Loretta be ranked so low. His .391 OBP reigns supreme among second-baseman, and his slugging percentage is higher than Soriano's (bet you didn't know that :-D ). He's also virtually a lock for 100 runs in a San Diego lineup that includes four other former all-stars.

I like Loretta and it shows. What's wrong with being ranked 5th? Watch that greed of yours! :-b

I'll have you know that Loretta was on my team last year, so I know first hand how good he was. I do expect a SLIGHT letdown this season. Very slight though, nothing major.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers