2B....Giles or Reyes? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2B....Giles or Reyes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:31 pm

BabyBoomer wrote:If reyes stays healthy ill pick him over giles. The guy can steal over 50 bases, can have over 100 runs, 80 rbi, close or higher than a 300 avg, 15 hr. The guy is the real deal when healthy. This is a very special player who is going to be a steal in the draft.

He may hit these numbers but how do you know for sure?? And how do you know that he is the real deal when healthy when he has never been healthy?? :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBV » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:38 pm

i agree with raiders umpire for the most part. both guys are too big of a risk for me.

since giles will definately go before round 6 in most leagues, he is a non issue for me. however, if reyes is still avaliable after round 8 in my league i will go for him. if not, i will get a third tier 2B and be happy with a brian roberts, loretta, or orlando hudson.
Vaughn: What's that sh*t on your chest?

Harris: Crisco, Bardol, Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball.

Crisco Bardol Vagisil
CBV
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Home of 2005 World Series Champs! Beverly-South Side Chicago * GO SOX *

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:41 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Purple Haze wrote:I think many of you were burned by Reyes last season.. And this season the bitterness shows... How can you claim that Reyes is an injury prone player

This part stood out to me. I think that Reyes has some nice tools and can be a very good player in the future but.......He has had numerous major leg injuries, all before or at the age of 20. Maybe he will be injury-free for the rest of his career but I doubt it.

This part stood out most to me...

He has been injured TWICE (I think of "Numerous Major Leg Injuries" as 4 or more..so it's probably just a matter of interpretation)... Hamstring injuries are serious when your entire game is running..(So I understand the concerns about his status) Yet he is still very, very young, and his body has yet to mature... his legs are the strongest part of his body..(If he weighs 165 LBS than 140 is legs.. ;-) ) therefor individuals built like him are more prone to leg injuries while they are young, and before they learn how to physically take care of what they have...
This offseason he worked out in New Orleans (Mackie Shilstone is a famous trainer, and has worked with guys like Ozzie Smith in regards to leg injuries) Jose learned how to protect his legs, with the proper work outs, and it benefited him.. He played Winter Ball, and hit .300+ with 11 SB's, but most important he was healthy...The one bad thing is that he didn't return to, New Orleans, and workout more with Shilstone...
So at this point his major problem is Youth...for his Physical tools, and his Mental Attitude...(He is just frustrated, because he hasn't been able to show what he is capable of, and is tired of answering questions..This is where he lacks the Mental Maturity, yet...)

All in All...I agree and disagree with your opinions.. the main thing is, I feel many write Reyes off, before he has even had a chance at a career...(He hasn't had the Numerous Major Leg Injuries, unless you consider 2 hamstring injuries as "Numerous Major Leg Injuries", and we can agree to disagree about that statement)

If your NOT a fan of Reyes, than his two injuries before even one full year in the league, would be MORE than enough reason for me to be sour on him...

If you ARE a fan of Reyes, than you want to overlook the fact he has had (2) hamstring injuries already (and realize he is young,a nd going through growing pains), and point to the fact once he gets on track, and plays an entire year..He will be one of the best fantasy players in the league period..(ala Soriano)

But the Thread was..Giles Vs. Reyes.. and if all is equal..and your looking at them both from the same playing field.. Marcus Giles is the better choice without question... You would be a fool this season, to even consider Reyes in round 3-4, because you could get him later..( Marcus will be going anywhere from 2-5)

This has been a very entertaining thread.. thanks for allowing me to participate, and give my 2 cents worth... ;-D [/quote]
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:19 pm

I liked the last post and just wanted to add some more. I have liked what little I have seen of Reyes but it's hard to get too excited when he can't stay on the field. There are a few things that bother me about Reyes starting with his apparent slow healing capabilities. It seems to take him forever to get healthy. He also seems to reinjure himself. Here are his injuries that I remember:

1. Left quad
2. Right hammy
3. Right hammy (again)
4. Sprained ankle
5. Right hammy (for a 3rd time)

This also doesn't take into account his numerous setbacks as well as the back proclems that resulted from changing hid runing style.

For the record, I hope that he does well. I think that the Mets need the excitement that he can bring to the team. I also hope that the Mets do well.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Kingctb27 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:50 pm

Amazinz wrote:If Reyes stays healthy he'll definitely be better value in the 10th than Giles in the 4th but it's pretty risky planning to draft one player. If you don't get him you're screwed. So if Giles is there I'd go with the sure thing.

I think this seems about right. But I don't believe that Reyes will be around in round 10 of many keeper drafts, somewhere around the 8th is about right.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:04 pm

kingctb27 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:If Reyes stays healthy he'll definitely be better value in the 10th than Giles in the 4th but it's pretty risky planning to draft one player. If you don't get him you're screwed. So if Giles is there I'd go with the sure thing.

I think this seems about right. But I don't believe that Reyes will be around in round 10 of many keeper drafts, somewhere around the 8th is about right.

Agreed if he even lasts that long.
Lofunzo

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers