2B....Giles or Reyes? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2B....Giles or Reyes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kev921 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:28 pm

Giles wins by a broken bone.
Giles will be counted on more this year than in the past. With the questionable outfielders they have, If Giles is to falter, so too will the Braves.

Reyes will have less pressure and he's back at SS. However, I still do not think he'll make it the whole season without at least one injury.
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 657
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kauffman Stadium

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:18 pm

giles, simply for reyes questionable health like everyone else said.
Image

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 14th and Ohio

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:19 pm

I think many of you were burned by Reyes last season.. And this season the bitterness shows... How can you claim that Reyes is an injury prone player, when last year was his first full season..(yes he was injured, but it was his first true year :-o ) and he was only 20... The verdict is still out on Reyes, and you will never get a chance at him past round 2 if he lives up to the potential 8-o ...(after this season) I could understand if he had played several years in the Majors, and every year was injured :-o ... How many times has Marcus Giles been hurt in his short big league career? :-o What about Corey Patterson? :~(

Giles is the easy choice for "Keeper" 2nd basemen..(Reyes won't be one next season)... :-D

Reyes is the easy choice for value, if you want to hit a grand slam.. }:-) (Yet with high reward comes high risk) I prefer to swing for the fences... Anyone can play it safe, but you will always finish behind the guy swinging for the fences.. ;-D (imho)
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 979
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: where your not looking

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:35 pm

Purple Haze wrote:I think many of you were burned by Reyes last season.. And this season the bitterness shows... How can you claim that Reyes is an injury prone player


This part stood out to me. I think that Reyes has some nice tools and can be a very good player in the future but.......He has had numerous major leg injuries, all before or at the age of 20. Maybe he will be injury-free for the rest of his career but I doubt it. I also don't quite understand why he gets so much love. He has played exactly 3/4 of 1 ML season (total games played). He has shown promise but not much more. What makes him more valuable, if healthy, is the fact that he is going back to SS. I believe that SS has become as thin or thinner than the other positions (C and 2B).
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Steve Kemp » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:41 pm

no question Giles....IMO
Alan Trammell should be in the Hall
Steve Kemp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 734
Joined: 6 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago

Postby lesgrant » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:52 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Purple Haze wrote:I think many of you were burned by Reyes last season.. And this season the bitterness shows... How can you claim that Reyes is an injury prone player


This part stood out to me. I think that Reyes has some nice tools and can be a very good player in the future but.......He has had numerous major leg injuries, all before or at the age of 20. Maybe he will be injury-free for the rest of his career but I doubt it. I also don't quite understand why he gets so much love. He has played exactly 3/4 of 1 ML season (total games played). He has shown promise but not much more. What makes him more valuable, if healthy, is the fact that he is going back to SS. I believe that SS has become as thin or thinner than the other positions (C and 2B).


Agreed.

It’s not like he’s had only ONE injury. And it’s not like his injuries were just bad luck. The man had to re-learn how to run so as not to pull his hammies.

It doesn't matter what position he plays. If he's not in the lineup, he can't help your team. And so far, he's been MIA.

It’s one thing to swing for the fences in terms of risk/reward, it’s another to do so with your eyes closed.
Image
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 705
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:07 pm

lesgrant wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Purple Haze wrote:I think many of you were burned by Reyes last season.. And this season the bitterness shows... How can you claim that Reyes is an injury prone player


This part stood out to me. I think that Reyes has some nice tools and can be a very good player in the future but.......He has had numerous major leg injuries, all before or at the age of 20. Maybe he will be injury-free for the rest of his career but I doubt it. I also don't quite understand why he gets so much love. He has played exactly 3/4 of 1 ML season (total games played). He has shown promise but not much more. What makes him more valuable, if healthy, is the fact that he is going back to SS. I believe that SS has become as thin or thinner than the other positions (C and 2B).


Agreed.

It’s not like he’s had only ONE injury. And it’s not like his injuries were just bad luck. The man had to re-learn how to run so as not to pull his hammies.

It doesn't matter what position he plays. If he's not in the lineup, he can't help your team. And so far, he's been MIA.

It’s one thing to swing for the fences in terms of risk/reward, it’s another to do so with your eyes closed.


I forgot to comment on the bolded part above in my earlier post. I haven't seen it mentioned here but he said before ST that he decided to trash the new running style and go back to what he used to do. :-o
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:12 pm

He did get rid of the new running style but that was per Shilstone's (who specializes working with Cornerbacks and Boxers) advice. I know people want to dismiss Winter Ball but he played a lot.

Now I don't think this makes him a non-concern and I certainly wouldn't draft him before Giles but it's something to consider.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby BabyBoomer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:22 pm

If reyes stays healthy ill pick him over giles. The guy can steal over 50 bases, can have over 100 runs, 80 rbi, close or higher than a 300 avg, 15 hr. The guy is the real deal when healthy. This is a very special player who is going to be a steal in the draft.
Screw you guys, I'm going going home!
BabyBoomer
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 180
Joined: 4 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:25 pm

It seems to me that 2nd base is one of those positions where you want to take a chance. There is so little talent there - and what is there is almost uniformly equal.

I'll take the guy with the higher upside.

(And I think Giles misses more time than Reyes this year, too.)
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact