Oliver Perez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oliver Perez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby deldawg39 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:47 pm

his WHIP was very very low last year....it looked like he left his wildness back in san diego.

and when your BAA was as low...you can deal with the walks...

in a 12 team league my staff was by and far the coolest staff ever..there's no shot I'll ever be able t0o put it together again this year

oliver perez (19th round pick)
pedro (2nd round pick, traded late in the season w/ mesa for Prior and Izzy
johan (4th rounder)
cliff lee (1st half mvp)
aj burnett (21st round stash)
greinke (waiver claim)
kazmir (waiver claim)
adam eaton
kris benson
odalis perez
pinero (lost to injury)
tomko (waiver claim)

krod
armando benitez

my league is a 12 team daily rotated league.
Starter Depth is a must...and while other people were running out bums i was putting solid arms out there....my weak links were benson, eaton, and odalis

god i loved that team

wish it were a keeper (reyes, morneau, and migel cabrera too!
deldawg39
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Woolly » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:59 pm

cordscords wrote:For some reason I don't really like Perez. He had the best K per INN ratio last year and that's always nice. But for some reason he doesnt strike me as appealing. Could be because he plays 4 the Pirates.

I rode that Pirates pitching train with Kris Benson for years now and I keep getting bounced every time. I just don't see Pit giving its starters much help.
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:23 pm

Woolly wrote:
cordscords wrote:For some reason I don't really like Perez. He had the best K per INN ratio last year and that's always nice. But for some reason he doesnt strike me as appealing. Could be because he plays 4 the Pirates.

I rode that Pirates pitching train with Kris Benson for years now and I keep getting bounced every time. I just don't see Pit giving its starters much help.

You're probably right...

There is always hope for the offense this year - probably more this year than in years previous due to Bay/J. Wilson doing very well last year, the "threat" of Lawton at leadoff, and the "power" of C. Wilson cleaning up. :-o :-o But, it was essentially a similar situation last year with Kendall in place of Lawton...therefore, I'm not seeing an offensive explosion helping Oliver out this year. :-/

I'm hoping that the bullpen will be a little more "solid" this year with Torres doing well and Gonzalez on the rise (Mesa, please don't implode!) Maybe they will not blow most of the close games that I know Perez will be involved in this year. Pitching against opposing staff aces will invariably mean lots of 1 and 2 run games, and I'm hoping we can keep the lead when Lloyd pulls Oliver after the 7th inning. :-[
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:36 pm

Sick? I didnt know he was sick? Hell..I am going to make sure he recovers before I put him on my draft list!
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:57 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:
Yoda wrote:It's tough to tell. If he loses control, all hell could break loose.

same goes for any pitcher though. :-?

Especially Ollie... Look at his BB/9 IP. Including his minor league numbers, 04 was the second lowest BB/9 IP posted by far. Have to keep that in mind before going too crazy. I'll be looking to draft him in my league but don't overbid.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:15 pm

He went from

2003: 126.2 IP - 77 BB
to
2004: 196 IP - 81 BB

... resulting in a 1.15 WHIP.

I had been looking at him as a sleeper breakout for this season, but he blew up that plan by arriving a year early. Considering his age and how quickly he is getting control of the strike zone, I think he's a solid fantasy ace (just prepare to suffer a low 'W' total).
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LBJackal » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:38 pm

His BB/9 did drop a lot, but he was at 3.72/9IP which is still not good. If he's that high again next year, his ERA will be much worse. His K's don't have anywhere to go but down so he HAS to have better control to come close to a 3.00 ERA. Of course it's possible that he lowers his walks, but don't pretend like he can keep his ERA this low while walking that many just because he K's a lot of hitters.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SPEEDY » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:27 am

He went from

2003: 126.2 IP - 77 BB
to
2004: 196 IP - 81 BB

Very nicely done. Who cares if he plays for the pirates. So you lose Wins but the other benefits are worth it in my opinion.
SPEEDY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:29 am

All I'm saying is... guys that have a history of giving up a lot of walks are much more prone to going back to their old ways than pitchers who have shown good control.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers