Punting Saves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting Saves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby xeifrank » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:15 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Thanks, guys. I've never punted a cat before, so was concerned about doing so. The full league is 16 team roto mixed 6x6 (Holds and OPS added to the usual). I'm using xeifrank's base values, so I haven't tested it with other projections.

A few more runs suggests that grabbing a closer or two around round 17-22 keeps me in the running.

6x6? Unfortunately, the software is built for 5x5 only. Perhaps next year I will tweek it for 6x6. With the software not taking holds and OPS into account, you will get some skewed results and valuations.

On a side note, we had an owner punt HRs/RBIs in a 5x5 last year and win. He had 10+ points in all the other categories, and wasn't quite dead last in the categories he punted. I never intentionally punt any categories, as I don't like that style of playing, but if done correctly I suppose it can be an effective strategy. I just don't have the guts to try it. I'd rather go for balance and take my shot at being very good in all categories.

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:00 am

xeifrank wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Thanks, guys. I've never punted a cat before, so was concerned about doing so. The full league is 16 team roto mixed 6x6 (Holds and OPS added to the usual). I'm using xeifrank's base values, so I haven't tested it with other projections.

A few more runs suggests that grabbing a closer or two around round 17-22 keeps me in the running.

6x6? Unfortunately, the software is built for 5x5 only. Perhaps next year I will tweek it for 6x6. With the software not taking holds and OPS into account, you will get some skewed results and valuations.

On a side note, we had an owner punt HRs/RBIs in a 5x5 last year and win. He had 10+ points in all the other categories, and wasn't quite dead last in the categories he punted. I never intentionally punt any categories, as I don't like that style of playing, but if done correctly I suppose it can be an effective strategy. I just don't have the guts to try it. I'd rather go for balance and take my shot at being very good in all categories.

vr

Xeifrank

Thanks. It really is a great little piece of software, so you can expect some $ from me since I've used it for two years. Since I know the results depend on different cats and also on the particular projections, I just use it to get a sense of strategies and the types of players I should be looking closely at.

I would definitely like an option to choose what categories score. Another useful change for next year would let you weight the bench contribution to the scoring (rather than just include or exclude it)
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby NZF » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:09 pm

Although I wouldn't recommend it, I still maintain saves is the one category that you can punt that effects the other categories the least.

3 years ago in an ESPN roto pay league, we had an early closer run which I kept well away from. I ended up with 1 mid tier closer and a bottom level guy and 2 MR's I saw as being able to vulture some saves from. The mid tier guy got injured early, the bottom level guy lost his job early and so I decided to pretty much punt saves and use decent MR's that were available. I dominated all hitting categories, did very well in 4 of the 5 pitching cats, finished a long last in saves but won the league easily.

Obviously having a well balanced team is the best way to go and the thing with saves is you can still finish around mid-table in that category without having any top or even middle tier closers. You do this by drafting wisely late, keeping a close eye on teams closer situations after the draft, and by making best use of the WW.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:25 pm

It is difficult to punt and win but it really depends on the rules and your familiarity with the league. I've been in leagues where people punted saves and won. Some punted steals and won. Some punted wins and Ks and won.

I don't necessarily recommend it but if closers are going at a premium, there is no need to jump on that bandwagon when you can pick off other undervalued positions and trade for saves later. Get a good undervalued closer or two at the draft and some MRs that may claim the job and/or scavenge a save here and there. If you see yourself falling back to far early in the season, trade for one even if you have to give up slightly more than you'd like. Better to stay with the pack than completely out of it in the first month.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers