Blalock vs. Rolen vs AROD vs Chavez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blalock vs. Rolen vs AROD vs Chavez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dannahann » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:36 am

No doubt Rolen does play in the better RBI situation. I only posted the similarity of Rolen's 2004 career year turnaround and the inuendo that it was inconcievable for Chavez to achieve something similar as food for thought. As soon as I read it I thought, didn't Rolen (one the the very players being held up) just do THAT?? The reason it struck me straight off is I've always seen them as very similar players. Since landing full time gigs Rolen has had a slightly better AVG (altho steakier) and Chavie (despite being hobbled by that pitcher's park) has the slightly better HR rate. Both have shown the propensity to drive in runs and steal bases at similar rates.
FWIW most prognosticators don't see 2005 much differently. The 2 guys sort out side by side in the early 6x6 hitters ranks. This is based entirely on the average of the projections I've found to date. I haven't interjected my own biases yet, like I will when I create my own cheatsheets. Actually, seeing Beltre isn't getting his props either, and so this might be more useful to everyone, here's the early average projections (per the so called experts) on all 8 3B being discussed:
AROD: 619AB / 44HR / 20SB / 120R / 118RBI / .300 / .974
BELTRE: 595AB / 35HR / 6SB / 99R / 110RBI / .304 / .911
CHAVEZ: 566AB / 35HR / 7SB / 99R / 106RBI / .291 / .937
ROLEN: 534AB / 32HR / 7SB / 101R / 111RBI / .297 / .940
BLALOCK: 600AB / 32HR / 2SB / 104R / 109RBI / .294 / .902
HUFF: 599AB / 30HR / 4SB / 90R / 103RBI / .304 / .886
ARAMIS: 556AB / 34HR / 1SB / 91R / 101RBI / .294 / .894
(note: the expert's would insert Wright, Chipper and Lowell here)
MORA: 538AB / 22HR / 10SB / 98R / 86RBI / .297 / .853
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: hmmm

Postby Yoda » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:41 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
GreenMonsterGoon wrote:I don't understand how you can call a player with Blalock's productation
A Year away
Blalock had a monster slump last year and for his career has struggled against lefties.

yeah except Blalock was injured when his numbers dipped and he had a higher batting average against lefties than against righties. And he is 3 or 4 years younger thna Chavez.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:43 am

my top 8

arod
chavez
rolen
beltre
aram
huff
blalock
mora

i am higher on chavez than some due to his ability to show he can hit lefties last year...i see somewhere around 300, 38, 110

i am lower on blalock than most due to the 2 prolonged slumps he has had the last 2 years.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shlabotnik » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:01 am

You guys are splitting hairs on players in a very deep position. Just get one of the studs and hope he remains healthy.
It ain't bragging if you can do it - Dizzy Dean
Shlabotnik
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:05 am

I couple weeks ago I went to a hitting/coaching clinic and Ken Macha was there. He was discussing Chavez in particular. He expects him to be Top 2 3B this upcoming year due to changes and enhancements of his swing. He claims to have been working hard in the off season on his swing. Not sure to what effect
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugwump » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:14 am

Agreed, some on this post are splittin hairs between 2 or 3 guys who will have very comparable stats IMO.
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby djacks » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:30 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:I couple weeks ago I went to a hitting/coaching clinic and Ken Macha was there. He was discussing Chavez in particular. He expects him to be Top 2 3B this upcoming year due to changes and enhancements of his swing. He claims to have been working hard in the off season on his swing. Not sure to what effect

There's no doubt that Chavez is a very talanted hitter...probably #2 or #3 in the majors at 3B. But that doesn't mean he'll be that highly ranked in fantasy. His team has disintegrated around him and he won't have the opportunities to put up the same numbers as Beltre, Rolen, and Blalock.

Chavez is an underrated hitter and an overrated fantasy player.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:47 pm

Between Rolen and Chavez, I think it's easy to see that Rolen is the safer pick of the two. Just thought I'd state the obvious :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:34 pm

Off the top of my head between those 4:

A-Rod
Chavez
Rolen
Blalock

I like Chavez this year... I think he'll give you better value than those other 3 because he'll be picked later than he should while A-Rod and Rolen will be picked far too early IMO.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Final Post

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:47 pm

I don't see how people can project a .30 point jump for Chavez. Yes, Rolen did it. But Rolen has been favorably impacted by the more to St. Louis.

Chavez is stuck in Oakland in a horrible hitters park with no hitters around him. There is no way he hits above .280
D-Mat, Schilling, Beckett, and Papelbon - Wow!
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers