"8. Justin Morneau MIN .271-19-58-39-28-0 (Only 280 AB’s)"

Why do you only predict 280 AB's?

Those were Morneau's numbers last year.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rage » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:27 pm

Yeah, my stats are last year's numbers. Haven't had time to make 2005 predictions but I did rank them accordingly to where I think they will fall #'s wise in 2005.
Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Not bad...

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:10 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
GreenMonsterGoon wrote:I don't want to take away all the fun and point out all the things I see, but I'll start with my two most glaring suggestions.

1. Move Texeira up - There is no way he's behind Delgado at least
2. Giambi: And you took injury into account....Move Giambi to 25ish

Why Delgado so low? I think until Tex puts up numbers that are better than Carlos you have to keep him below Delgado
Umm, 2004? ;-7 Carlos only had one amazing year, other than that his average has been sort of low.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:30 pm

"Carlos only had one amazing year, other than that his average has been sort of low."

Huh? Delgado's lifetime BA is 282, which is better than Tex's best year. Ditto for his lifetime OPS. Delgado's exceeded Tex's highest HR total (38) five times in his career. He exceeded Tex's highest RBI total four times, including 145 in 2003, 134 in 1999, and 139 in 2000. He's hit 300+ twice including 344 -- yes, 344-- in 2000. In 2000, he had an incredible 1.13 OPS and in 2003 he had a 1.02, both far and away better than Tex's best year.

2004 is not a fair comparison because Delgado was out for almost six weeks. When he came back, his post-All Star numbers were 305-43-63-22. Wow.

Tex probably has not reached his ceiling yet, but even so he's got a long ways to go to match Delgado's numbers.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:44 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:"Carlos only had one amazing year, other than that his average has been sort of low."

Huh? Delgado's lifetime BA is 282, which is better than Tex's best year. Ditto for his lifetime OPS. Delgado's exceeded Tex's highest HR total (38) five times in his career. He exceeded Tex's highest RBI total four times, including 145 in 2003, 134 in 1999, and 139 in 2000. He's hit 300+ twice including 344 -- yes, 344-- in 2000. In 2000, he had an incredible 1.13 OPS and in 2003 he had a 1.02, both far and away better than Tex's best year.

2004 is not a fair comparison because Delgado was out for almost six weeks. When he came back, his post-All Star numbers were 305-43-63-22. Wow.

Tex probably has not reached his ceiling yet, but even so he's got a long ways to go to match Delgado's numbers.
You are acting like Big Tex had an awful 2nd half.... his second half was just as insane. Its sort of unfair to compare them, because Tex only has 2 full seasons under his belt. But hes going to be one of the best at first very soon, and I would say this season is a good bet. Plus, his lineup is stacked and the park is much, much better for hitters than Delgados.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Nipples » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:58 pm

Here's a bold statement for you:

Tex will be the second best 1st basemen and a top 6 hitter within the next 2 years. Right now Helton is the only thing in his way.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:36 pm

"You are acting like Big Tex had an awful 2nd half.... his second half was just as insane. Its sort of unfair to compare them, because Tex only has 2 full seasons under his belt."

Well, I never said otherwise. You should actually read my post and the point I was responding to, which only said that Delgado had only one good year and his BA was otherwise low. In fact, Delgado has already had several of the sort of monster years that everyone seems to be predicting for Tex.

I note, however, that even in Tex's "insane" second half his BA was still only 286, which is far below the predictions of 300 that actually started this thread. He also closed out the year by hitting only 238 in September.

"Tex will be the second best 1st basemen and a top 6 hitter within the next 2 years. Right now Helton is the only thing in his way."

Well, there are a number of 1Bs who, like Delagado, have actually HAD the sort of monster season that Tex has NEVER HAD but which many are predicting for him. Like Ortiz. If I had to choose who was gonna be the second best 2B in a few years, my money would be on those who have actually posted the sort of monster numbers that many are breathlessly projecting for Tex.

Top 6 hitter?! Dude, get a grip. Do you have any idea how much Tex would have to improve to make it into the top 6? The majors are littered with "next big things" that never lived up to their promise. What's more, if I had a dollar for every hot up-and-comer that actually regressed rather than continued his improvement, I'd be a millionaire.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:56 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:"You are acting like Big Tex had an awful 2nd half.... his second half was just as insane. Its sort of unfair to compare them, because Tex only has 2 full seasons under his belt."

Well, I never said otherwise. You should actually read my post and the point I was responding to, which only said that Delgado had only one good year and his BA was otherwise low. In fact, Delgado has already had several of the sort of monster years that everyone seems to be predicting for Tex.

I note, however, that even in Tex's "insane" second half his BA was still only 286, which is far below the predictions of 300 that actually started this thread. He also closed out the year by hitting only 238 in September.

"Tex will be the second best 1st basemen and a top 6 hitter within the next 2 years. Right now Helton is the only thing in his way."

Well, there are a number of 1Bs who, like Delagado, have actually HAD the sort of monster season that Tex has NEVER HAD but which many are predicting for him. Like Ortiz. If I had to choose who was gonna be the second best 2B in a few years, my money would be on those who have actually posted the sort of monster numbers that many are breathlessly projecting for Tex.

Top 6 hitter?! Dude, get a grip. Do you have any idea how much Tex would have to improve to make it into the top 6? The majors are littered with "next big things" that never lived up to their promise. What's more, if I had a dollar for every hot up-and-comer that actually regressed rather than continued his improvement, I'd be a millionaire.

Agreed. I doubt Tex will even be the best fantasy player in the infield on his own team this year.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby SPEEDY » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:17 am

I'll chime in on this one

Well I said it about 4 or 5 years ago and said Delgado was going to be the next person to win the triple crown. I believe his move to Fla will only help my prediction (and a few injuries to others).

You throw Pierre on the bases what 200 of his at bats? Could be a monster Rbi year for him depending on if he is in front or behind Cabrera. I would go with Delgado for that exact reason, it is not fair to compare Tex to him cause he only has 2 seasons under his belt.

Tex could blow up even more but I think he has about maxed out in his numbers. He will stay right where he is and consistently hit but you cannot compare veterans to 2 year players.
SPEEDY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers