Johan NOT starting on Opening Day - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johan NOT starting on Opening Day

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KPucks » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:17 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
KPucks wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Wow, that is really just a clueless move. Unless hes secretly injured?

If he was secretly injured, I don't think the one day between opening day and game 2 would be that much of a difference. This is just a dumb move by the Twins.

You mean that the extra day after 6 months off won't matter?? :-D I agree with you.

Maybe the doctor said Johan had to have exactly 6 months and one day off and no less :-D
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:25 pm

KPucks wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
KPucks wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Wow, that is really just a clueless move. Unless hes secretly injured?

If he was secretly injured, I don't think the one day between opening day and game 2 would be that much of a difference. This is just a dumb move by the Twins.

You mean that the extra day after 6 months off won't matter?? :-D I agree with you.

Maybe the doctor said Johan had to have exactly 6 months and one day off and no less :-D

Which doctor?? Radke's?? :-b
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby blankman » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:33 pm

Everyone is getting pretty worked up about this; I just don't care/ thinks it's that big of a deal. B-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:42 pm

blankman wrote:Everyone is getting pretty worked up about this; I just don't care/ thinks it's that big of a deal. B-)

In the whole realm of things, it's not that big of a deal. That said, there is no reason why Radke should start over Santana. Even if he throws a SO on Opening Day, I will still believe that.

I also really don't see anyone that worked up over this. It's just retarded, that's all.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Radke

Postby Willie3101 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:05 am

Ummm wow i live in minneapolis and amazingly this hasnt been made a huge deal... atleast as far as TV news and word on the street goes. I find that surprising cause the citty sure was in love with him last fall with the whole CY Young thing. Lotta people saying how pissed they'd be if Cy Young went to schilling or someone (i wasnt worried, but there was talk about whether it would be "stolen" from santana). Just shocks me that no one here seems to care that much, while in most cities an uproar would be raised if this decision were made this far before opening day.
Let's play two!
Willie3101
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KPucks » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:33 am

blankman wrote:Everyone is getting pretty worked up about this; I just don't care/ thinks it's that big of a deal. B-)

It's the end of January and there is no football this weekend. Do you expect me to get worked up about the NHL lockout instead? :-D
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:14 am

It really isn't much of deal, The Twins know what they are doing, they are 3 time central division champs and have a huge amount of young talent.....A baseball game is a baseball game, it is not like it will effect Johan.
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

santana

Postby Willie3101 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:30 am

it wont effect him, but this makes me wonder if they will offer enough when his contract runs down to make him stay... i know they dont have a recent history of paying for players once they are at there peak and expensive, but he seems like one where that trend should be broken
Let's play two!
Willie3101
College Coach
College Coach

The Lone Dissenter?

Postby Dr. Rune » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:03 am

Like Tommy & The Shondells, Gardenhire and I think we're alone, now.

Giving Radke the nod on Opening Day is a small gesture to show the organization's appreciation of his loyalty. This is a guy who's been starting for them since 1995 and -- of greater importance -- turned down a better monetary offer from a better team (the Red Sox) to stay in Minnesota. Are y'all so far removed from you high school days that you've forgotten the concept of Senior Day? Radke's Opening Day start is, conceptually, similar.

Also, it's not like Gardenhire's doing a great disservice to the primary objective (winning). The Mariners may enact a similar ploy and start Jamie Moyer over Joel Pineiro in Game 1. Either way, Seattle's does not have an ace-quality starter so 'matching up' is pretty negligible, no?
Dr. Rune
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:08 am

Disservice to Joel Pineiro? That is a joke right?

I can see the headlines now...Piniero upset he is not opening say starter...After a tremendous 04 where he missed most of the season with injuries and after a couple of seasons of total mediocrity, Joel Pineiro has demanded a trade after being snubbed as the M's opening day starter in favor of veteran and former 20 game winner Jamie Moyer.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers