Johan NOT starting on Opening Day - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johan NOT starting on Opening Day

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pacman » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm

You know, I never got the whole Gardenhire thing. I know the Twins win the AL Central all the time, but I really don't think it's due to Gardenhire being a genius.

I was dumbfounded in years past that he kept Santana as a middle releiver as long as he did before finally figuring out what I and 100% of the fantasy baseball folks of the world already knew -- that Santana was a STUD starter.

He also underwhelms me with his managing decisions when the Twins get to the post season.

Then again, I don't follow the Twins that closely, so someone correct me if I'm wrong here -- but in my opinion, Gardenhire is starting to be the Herm Edwards of MLB (Edwards being a cruddy -- but very overrated -- NFL head coach).

peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:16 pm

I dont follow the Twins much either but Gardenhire cant be that bad can he? He's won the AL Central 3 years in a row without a true ace (until Johan) and he's only had one player on the Twins to have 100 RBI+ season in the past 3 years (Hunter). That has to mean something right?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:23 pm

Rirruto wrote: That has to mean something right?

It means they play in the same division as the Tigers, White Sox, Indians, and Royals.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:29 pm

Tavish wrote:
Rirruto wrote: That has to mean something right?

It means they play in the same division as the Tigers, White Sox, Indians, and Royals.

Thats true too :-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Jury » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:45 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Rirruto wrote:
btownfu wrote:That's true..but at least more often then not he will be going against #2'S

I highly doubt that. With different schedules, off days, injuries, call ups and send downs, and other situations going on with every team in the league, I dont see that happening.

All other things being equal, you want your pitcher to be #2 instead of #1. It may only make a difference in two starts over an entire year, and that may only mean one extra win, but I've won and lost fantasy leagues over less than that. Every little bit counts.

With all due respect, I don't think Gardenhire gives a crap about whether or not Johan in the #2 spot helps your fantasy season... :-o

I do agree, though, that it will not make a significant difference in terms of #2 vs. #2 as the rotations between teams get zig-zagged pretty quickly as the season gets going.

I'm pretty sure this move has less to do with talent other than making sure than Radke and Johan are in the top 2. After that's done, the loyal soldier for the Twins get the call for Opening Day while the young gun gets in line.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:45 pm

Wow, that is really just a clueless move. Unless hes secretly injured?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:48 pm

Think that is a bit of over-speculating. If you want to read tea-leaves, it is more liekly Pohlad and Gardenhire are paying respect to the guy that is signed for thenext few years ove r the guy that they have no intention of spending money on longterm. He will look very nice in Yankee Pinstrpes will Mr. Santana.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:54 pm

DK wrote:OK, now that I'm done laughing:

Has this ever happened before? A guy wins the CY and is #2 the next year?

Well, Zito is now the #2 in Oakland (according to Beane) so anything is possible. I personally think this is a joke. Respect or not, Santana should be pitching on opening day. How about respecting his 2nd half?? :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby KPucks » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:05 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Wow, that is really just a clueless move. Unless hes secretly injured?

If he was secretly injured, I don't think the one day between opening day and game 2 would be that much of a difference. This is just a dumb move by the Twins.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:16 pm

KPucks wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Wow, that is really just a clueless move. Unless hes secretly injured?

If he was secretly injured, I don't think the one day between opening day and game 2 would be that much of a difference. This is just a dumb move by the Twins.

You mean that the extra day after 6 months off won't matter?? :-D I agree with you.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers