Johan NOT starting on Opening Day - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johan NOT starting on Opening Day

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kage812004 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:36 pm

just crazy
kage812004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:37 pm

btownfu wrote:Not gonna lie, Santana faces lesser competition now in the #2 spot = better fantaasy results for him

Not really. Just because you are the #2 starter on the team doesnt mean you are going to be facing the rest of the #2's in the league. By the end of the first week or so it all changes.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby btownfu » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:50 pm

That's true..but at least more often then not he will be going against #2'S
"In aquiring a player with a good record you are building backwards, building a great past"
-Bill James
btownfu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:05 pm

btownfu wrote:That's true..but at least more often then not he will be going against #2'S

I highly doubt that. With different schedules, off days, injuries, call ups and send downs, and other situations going on with every team in the league, I dont see that happening.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lime » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:38 pm

Gardenhire always tries to overdue his showings of respect. It's come to the point where I think it's an ego thing. He wants people to say, "Wow, that Gardenhire sure is classy and respectful to the game of baseball."

In this case it's just stupid.

Not to mention how Gardy was terrible in the ALDS last year. Twins would have beaten the Yankees with competent managing IMO.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:32 pm

Come on now...

Garderhire wants Santana for a lefty specilaist in the pen on opening day...much more valuable than a starter.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:08 pm

I understand the respect part of this..... but if I was Brad Radke I'd feel like an idiot. Not only did I make my team spend way too much money on me, but I'm starting on opening day when everybody and their brother wants to see Johan Santana out there.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:10 pm

LBJackal wrote:I understand the respect part of this..... but if I was Brad Radke I'd feel like an idiot.

I think he does :-B

Although he has been the Opening Day starter eight times in his career, Radke was taken aback by the news. "You're darn right I am (surprised)," Radke said. "I don't know what they (the coaching staff) are thinking. I pretty much thought Johan was going to start it up. It doesn't matter to me. That's always an honor. I'll be ready."
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bleach168 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:17 pm

Rirruto wrote:
btownfu wrote:That's true..but at least more often then not he will be going against #2'S

I highly doubt that. With different schedules, off days, injuries, call ups and send downs, and other situations going on with every team in the league, I dont see that happening.

All other things being equal, you want your pitcher to be #2 instead of #1. It may only make a difference in two starts over an entire year, and that may only mean one extra win, but I've won and lost fantasy leagues over less than that. Every little bit counts.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Natural » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:33 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Come on now...

Garderhire wants Santana for a lefty specilaist in the pen on opening day...much more valuable than a starter.

LMAO!

Gardenhire has never given Santana the respect he deserves. I say this will probably be his last year with the Twins because of the way they have disrespected him.
The Natural
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers