Reds fans advise please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cincinnati Reds

Reds fans advise please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reds fans advise please

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:44 pm

I've got these 2 cancers Brandon Larson and Brandon Claussen that I can keep for next to nothing in my NL-only keeper league. They have two strikes against them:

1) They would take up valuable bench spots that I could use on somebody else; and
2) I hate them with every fiber of my being. They lowlifes cost me the championship last year. I had to put Claussen in as an emergency fill in last year at the end of the year because of our transaction and IP rules.

On the one hand they used to be great prospects and will cost me very little to keep, on the other hand I despise them.

You Reds fans probably hate them more than me so I am basically looking for support for my decision to cut them loose.

btw - I may get nothing other than empty bench spots for them. The pickings are slim in our league and I am keeping some hefty contracts. Abreu, C. Zambrano and a few others. But I may get lucky and get MAckowiak, Noah Lowry or the like.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EricF » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:54 pm

If you have an NL-only keeper league, you might want to cut Brandon Larson. Larson was signed to a minor league contract by Tampa Bay last December. He's a long shot for a major league roster, but he's less likely for the NL than for the AL at this point.

Brandon Claussen may have some potential, but with the Reds taking three starting spots for Eric Milton, Ramon Ortiz, and Paul Wilson, the competition will be intense for slots 4 and 5. With Milton in the rotation, it is not as necessary to have another left-hander. So only keep him if you don't have anyone better available.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheGrump » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:39 pm

Cut them loose! Larson is a head case. There is very little chance he will ever pan out at the major league level. Claussen does not have a sure spot in the rotation. Additionally, I believe he was overhyped because he was in the Yankees farm system.

As a sidenote, the guy to keep an eye on if he makes the staff is Luke Hudson. He pitched very well when he was called up at the end of last year.
TheGrump
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:56 pm

I'm going to steer clear here mookie...don't want to give you wrong advice. I don't live in Cincy so I don't have the latest and greatest info.

I will say, however, Larson is trash according to every Reds fan I've talked to in the past couple of years. Claussen gets mixed reactions typically....though I would agree that he was overhyped because he was a Yankee.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:06 pm

Thanks guys.

I won't tell you who I gave up for Claussen :-[

ok, I will...Edwin Jackson. I was going for it all last season and had a deal worked out for Chipper and Smoltz for Lidge. At the last minute the other guy added Claussen and Jackson into the mix. Image

Jackson is overhyped as well but not as much as Claussen.

Thanks for the info - they both get cut. And I'll see if I can get this Hudson guy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Return to Cincinnati Reds