Which closer - mota or bj ryan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which closer - mota or bj ryan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which closer - mota or bj ryan

Postby dave_1861 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:33 am

Would you rather have, or rather which one will keep his job and have the most success and what kind of #'s do you expect from them?
Baseball is dull only to dull minds. -- Red Barber, announcer
dave_1861
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtarail » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:23 am

This one's really too close to call and given the lack of experience they both have as big league closers it's impossible to make an accurate projection on them.

Both guys are very risky due to their lack of protracted experience closing at the big league level. They both also have a ton of upside because they have put up great #s in the past in set-up roles, and posted lots of K's.

If I had to pick one, I guess I'd go with Mota--mainly due to that big Florida ballpark. That pitching staff should also be able to deliver him a lot of save opps.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nikku88 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:38 am

I agree that they are real close.
They are risky, but have high ceilings.
If I was forced to choose, I would go with Ryan, cause I like his K's.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:40 am

Mota
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby io » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:46 am

flip a coin.. i think both will handle the closer role just fine... they'll be the joe nathans of 2005
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:03 am

i'd go with mota.

i was wondering.... is a closer in the NL more likely to get a SV than a player in the AL. in other words, which league has more total saves per year...maybe that's my homework for the year. :-?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 213)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:10 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:i'd go with mota.

i was wondering.... is a closer in the NL more likely to get a SV than a player in the AL. in other words, which league has more total saves per year...maybe that's my homework for the year. :-?

Well you should set goals for yourself... but the whole year? At least give a smaller time constraint :-D

I have no idea whoch league is better for saves... why do you think it's easier in the NL?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:22 am

LBJackal wrote:

Well you should set goals for yourself... but the whole year? At least give a smaller time constraint :-D

I have no idea whoch league is better for saves... why do you think it's easier in the NL?

lol. not year. weekend. :-D

it's more of a guess than anything else. the NL closer would have an easier job cuz he's more likely to face a pinch hitter than the AL closer because of the pitching spot. because of the DH in the AL, managers don't make as much subs as in the NL, so the pinch hitter in the 9th inning in the NL is "weaker" than the pinch hitter in the AL. i'm not about this either, but i'd guess that the number of save opps in the NL is bigger than in the AL because of small ball.

:-S
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:38 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:
LBJackal wrote:

it's more of a guess than anything else. the NL closer would have an easier job cuz he's more likely to face a pinch hitter than the AL closer because of the pitching spot. because of the DH in the AL, managers don't make as much subs as in the NL, so the pinch hitter in the 9th inning in the NL is "weaker" than the pinch hitter in the AL. i'm not about this either, but i'd guess that the number of save opps in the NL is bigger than in the AL because of small ball.

Sounds good to me. I'll expect a finished paper on my desk by next tuesday.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:40 am

LBJackal wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:
LBJackal wrote:

Sounds good to me. I'll expect a finished paper on my desk by next tuesday.

will do sir. ;-D

might even skip class tomorrow for it. :-D

i still have to do some more research as you'd say. :-b
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to Baseball Leftovers