Contract question regarding Kazmir - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Contract question regarding Kazmir

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Contract question regarding Kazmir

Postby hawgvike » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:08 pm

Scott Kazmir - S - TB

Devil Rays agreed to terms with LHP Scott Kazmir, RHP Doug Waechter and RHP Chris Seddon on one-year contracts.
Kazmir is promised a rotation spot barring a disaster this spring. Waechter will have to compete for a job. Seddon is expected to spend most of the season in the minors. Jan. 26 - 5:47 pm et

i may be wrong, but is he ONLY on that one-year contract? am i correct in thinking that he could be a free agent at years end or am i horribly missing something?
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:12 pm

No he'll be bound by arbitration for his first 5 years.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby red » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:47 pm

strange thing, though; unless I'm misunderstanding something. If he wasn't arbitration eligible: why did they sign him to a one year contract? Was he threatening to hold out or something?
Maybe there's something I'm not understanding.
Does anyone know the terms of the contract?
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KPucks » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that if a player is in the majors he is eligible for arbitration his first 5 years in the big leagues. Since Kazmir was in the majors last year, he would have gone to arbitration but he and the Rays settled before the hearing. He won't be a free agent for some time.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:59 pm

I do not know the terms of the contract but it's not that strange for players like Kazmir to sign a one-year deal. Often you'll see a player sign several one-year deals while they are bound by arbitration. In this case if TB and Kazmir were seeing eye-to-eye on a contract value then there's no need to go to arbitration.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers