Vernon Wells? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:06 pm

I don't like Vernon Wells as a 6th rounder.

Anyone remember him showing up to camp 15 lbs lighter last year a la Giambi? He said it was his new yoga training program or something like that.

Not too surprisingly, his HR rate went down in 2004. If you take his last two months of 2003 and add that to 2004, Wells hit a HR every 27 AB's. In the first 4 months of 2003, Wells hit a HR every 16.3 AB's.

I see him more along the lines of 90/25/90/10/.280
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sunspot » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:18 pm

WOW! another steroid accusation. Why! this is getting rediculous. Note to all cafe members: "Don't be that guy!"
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:33 pm

bleach168 wrote:I don't like Vernon Wells as a 6th rounder.

Anyone remember him showing up to camp 15 lbs lighter last year a la Giambi? He said it was his new yoga training program or something like that.

Not too surprisingly, his HR rate went down in 2004. If you take his last two months of 2003 and add that to 2004, Wells hit a HR every 27 AB's. In the first 4 months of 2003, Wells hit a HR every 16.3 AB's.

It's funny you accuse Vernon Wells of using steroids when Sammy Sosa is your Avatar.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:36 pm

bleach168 wrote:Anyone remember him showing up to camp 15 lbs lighter last year a la Giambi? He said it was his new yoga training program or something like that.

He said he changed his diet... I think it was alfalfa sprouts and asparagus or something like that he was eating, and avoiding things that build strength. He wanted to be leaner, according to an interview before the season. Now, he's a really nice guy and does lots of PR stuff but that's really suspicious... you have an AMAZING breakout year and then drastically change your body in the offseason :-? Doesn't make sense. I'm not saying he took steroids... I'm saying Im suspicious.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tlef316 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:02 am

dynastykid22 wrote:ThomasS---------
Pudge has D Young, sanchez, munson enough said
Bonds is Bonds but how many walks did he have? how many times did he get stranded?
Teamates help players succeed, the better the supporting cast the better the player can be!!!

i seriously doubt dimitri young, alex sanchez and eric munson had AL Central pitching coaches shaking in their cleats. I might have taken you the slightest bit seriously had you said carlos guillen.

i agree that suporting cast can make players better, but im hesitant to hold it against them too much if the surrounding players arent really, really weak. well's suporting cast might limit him to 100 RBI instead of the 110 he could get if he were playing for another team. But to me, that diference hardly makes him "unkeepable" as you seem to claim.

Im not saying you shouldnt look at supporting cast, but i think you're overestimating the effect just a tad. Like you said, the guy isnt bonds. he's still gonna see his pitches
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:43 am

davidmarver wrote:
bleach168 wrote:I don't like Vernon Wells as a 6th rounder.

It's funny you accuse Vernon Wells of using steroids when Sammy Sosa is your Avatar.

Lol... look closely at my avatar. I have no love for Sammy.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:51 am

if vernon wells was still available in the 6th round, i'd certainly take him. heck, i'd take him even in the 4th round, depending on how things are going.

i think his lack of production last year was related to his injury and i can see him being just fine in 05. it's not like the jays lineup is that bad. yeah, of course losing delgado will be huge, but hudson has been hitting better, russ adams is way better than woodward, myers who was injured all of last year will be back and don't forget hillenbrand who isn't great but can hit .285 and knock in 85 a year.

vernon numbers in 02 are a bit misleading cuz he had a very slow start, i think he's more like the guy who we saw in 03. he hit 34 doubles in 04 and that's encouraging IMO.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers