Vernon Wells? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vernon Wells?

Postby KING OF QUEENS » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:14 pm

With Delgado leaving for Miami how does this affect the value of Vernon Wells? What do you think his 2005 numbers will be like and is he worth keeping at the 6th round spot?
KING OF QUEENS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dynastykid22 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:29 pm

You'd have to be a joey to keep wells, just ask yourself who's gonna hit behind him(or in front ) Roy Halladay? you'd be better off keeping kip wells than vernon!!!!!
dynastykid22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:31 pm

definetly worth keeping as a 6th rounder. Wells may not have tons of protection, but he is very talented and will get more and more help as rios matures. i definetly think he repeats his 2003 numbers

Wells is very undervalued this year.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:38 pm

dynastykid22 wrote:You'd have to be a joey to keep wells, just ask yourself who's gonna hit behind him(or in front ) Roy Halladay? you'd be better off keeping kip wells than vernon!!!!!

guys can put up numbers without alot of talent around them

catalanotto is a professional hitter(coming back from injury)
Rios is, by all indications, an amazing talent
Koskie can be very solid when healthy(25 HR last year in around 400 ABs)
Hudson is still developing
Hinske is still young and could bounce back

im not saying they are great, because thats obviously not the case. But, its not like they are an expansion team. I dont hold the lineup against him too much. Good hitters will hit, regardless of who is in front of them
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dynastykid22 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:53 pm

I'll agree with you on koskie but switching teams is going to hurt his numbers. The rest of these guys aren't going to be any help in 05', The brightest star they have that might help is reed johnson if he can get on base vernon will get his chance for RBIs. im not taking anything away from vernon(hes a good player)but his supporting cast is gonna hold him down..........If you do keep him pray for a trade!!!!!
dynastykid22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:54 pm

I'd grab him if he's still around in the 7th. He's a good hitter, so he should put up good numbers even if the rest of the line-up is suspect. I expect something like 300-100-100-30-7, just about right between his 2003 and 2004 numbers. He might be worth grabbing earlier, but there are a lot of hitters who should put up similar numbers at weaker positions (e.g., Huff).
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thomasps3 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:06 pm

I am having a hard time with your take on the situation dynasty. The argument you seem to be making is that players only produce when surrounded by other players. If I am correct in this assessment, then Barry Bonds, please step up as example number one to defend this argument. Another perfect example is that of Pudge Rodriguez, who had one of his best seasons ever.

The point you are making is valid in certain cases, for instance Bill Mueller hitting .326 in 2002 to win the AL batting championship. His primary benefit was hitting in the loaded Red Sox line-up, as his regression to his mean this past season would indicate.

For a player like Vernon Wells, who has a proven track record, it is quite a different story.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:11 pm

Vernon Wells without Delgado in 2004. Sample is small but...

15 GP, 59 AB, 21 H, 4 HR, 9 RBI, 4 SB, .370 OBP, .569 SLG, .356 AVG
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dynastykid22 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:36 pm

ThomasS---------
Pudge has D Young, sanchez, munson enough said
Bonds is Bonds but how many walks did he have? how many times did he get stranded?
Teamates help players succeed, the better the supporting cast the better the player can be!!!
dynastykid22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:49 pm

dynastykid22 wrote:ThomasS---------
Pudge has D Young, sanchez, munson enough said
Bonds is Bonds but how many walks did he have? how many times did he get stranded?
Teamates help players succeed, the better the supporting cast the better the player can be!!!

In theory yes... In reality, this can't be any further from the truth. Take a look at the A's and how well they've done. When former MVP Giambi left, Tejada became a monster and won an MVP. When Tejada left, Chavez stepped up and is becoming the man. It depends on the situation and the player. I think Vernon is good enough to hit with or without any protection in the lineup. I'm sure it helps to have a supporting cast but it doesn't necessarily make you a different player if you are special.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers