Rate My Team (Mock Draft) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate My Team (Mock Draft)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate My Team (Mock Draft)

Postby scbryan81 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:52 pm

First year playing Fantasty baseball. I read this board all the time, and you guys got me pumped up for my first year. I read a Topic yesterday about Fantasy Mock Central. I decided to join. This was a 12 team Draft, I was in the 3rd Position, 23 Rounds in total.

I'm not to happy with my starting pitching and my 2b,SS, 3B picks, I think I could have done better. I got carried away with 3 closers early, and messed up. Rate my team from 1 - 10. I would gladly appreciate any suggestions.

C Joe Mauer
C Paul LoDuca
1B David Ortiz
2B Chone Figgins
3B Dallas McPherson
OF Vladimir Guerrero
OF Hideki Matsui
OF Corey Patterson
OF JD Drew
OF Jason Bay
CI Jeff Bagwell
MI Juan Uribe
DH Willy Mo Pena
P Mark Prior
P Eric Gagne
P Brad Lidge
P Francisco Cordero
P AJ Burnett
P Brad Radke
P Odalis Perez
P Bronson Arroyo
P Noah Lowry

Thanks,

Bryan
scbryan81
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:19 pm

1st off welcome to the cafe.

I wouldnt rate your team very high. Your offense is not very good and your sp is about as bad. It looks like you realize where you messed up at by taking the rp's early. In the future you might want to wait a few rounds before you worry so much about them and try to get a few more bats. I like to go best player available be it hitter or pitcher for the first 4 rounds then make sure I have a solid sp then if I havent taken one before that and I very rarely take a closer before the 7th round. There are only a few closers that are worth going early and they all go before I am ready to pick one.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby water boy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:43 pm

your offense is decent,rookies always scare me i would have drafted a proven 3b but other then that your pitching and good and your bullepen should dominate ;-D
water boy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby scbryan81 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:12 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I will give it another crack this morning, I will ost my team later on.

Bryan
scbryan81
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby scbryan81 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:33 pm

Ok Guys, here is my team from this mornings mock draft. Let me know what you think? I think I messed up on Outfielders and probally need better all around pitching.

C Jason Varitek
C Paul Lo Duca
1B Jim Thome
2B Bret Boone
SS Derek Jeter
3B Alex Rodriguez
OF Jim Edmonds
OF Steve Finley
OF Aaron Rowand
OF Milton Bradley
OF Matt Lawton
CI Carlos Delgado
MI Omar Infante
U/DH Dave Roberts
P Roger Clemens
P Mike Mussina
P Mark Mulder
P Matt Clement
P Noah Lowry
P Jeff Weaver
P Francisco Cordero
P Jason Isringhausen
P Troy Percival

I keep signing up for the 3rd position on the Draft, because I figured Beltran, Pujols, AROD are almost equal.

What draft position should I sign up on? 12 Team Drafts.
scbryan81
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RRGL1 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:42 pm

Marked improvement over your first draft. That's a decent team to start the year with.

About draft position, if you think the top three are about equal, then go for the 3 spot. Leagues aren't won by draft order or even the first few rounds, the difference is usually made in the middle to late rounds.
RRGL1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRock » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:14 pm

Just to be different, I liked your first team better. With Prior anchoring your staff I think you're fine at SP. SP is probably the easiest place to make up ground as the season goes on.

I agree about your infield, I think. You didn't post your SS the first time. But 2nd is a scarce position every year. There's Soriano then there's everyone else. The top everyone else's seem to change quite a bit every year, so unless I get Soriano I never invest much in that position. I think Figgins is a great pick there, lots of upside. 3B you were a little behind with McPherson. 3rd is deep this year, but not that deep. Probably 8 or so guys I wouldn't mind having. BUT, you've got Gagne, Lidge, and F. Cordero! Top closers are great trade bait and there's no reason you couldn't trade for an upgrade at 3rd and even SP if you wanted.

All in all, I think both drafts you ended up with good teams for a 12 team league. One small philosophical thought I'll throw out there - draft for value, trade for position. Don't worry too much about being "too-stacked" at one position, or thin at another. Yes, try to draft a balanced team, but if a guy is out there that you feel has slipped too far, grab him. There's lots of time as the season goes along to trade to fill any holes you've got. You'll end up with some anyway due to injuries and players not panning out.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Shadowmaster28 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:19 pm

Aweosme improvement over the first mock! Only thing I really see that scores me is that you only have two OF that I would have taken, but that is me! It is a good team to start the year out with! Pitching was good too! Maybe one more try at the mock draft and see what happens. Sign up for the third pick again .. it has been good to you so far!
Shadowmaster28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team