Positional std.dev weights - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Positional std.dev weights

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:29 pm

daweasle wrote:hey rugby (it's wesjones76 from rototimes forum)

I think it doesn't matter too much for stolen bases cause erstad, wilkerson and lee are the only guys that are going to get you any points there anyways. Just rank 1B without SB included at all - and at the end go back and bump up those three a couple spots.....

I've been looking at VORP as the master for standard deviation - but now I'm curious since you use both - what is the difference between the two?

(what does VORP stand for?) value of relative position>?

welcome to the cafe. now if we can get JES and the rest over here.
VORP=value over replacement player

yeah, i thought about cutting it out completely, but it did have some importance for DLee since he's got power too. using .25 bumped Erstad out of draftable range and Lee looks about right between Huff and Bagwell.....

you add up the std.devs for each category to get a total for a player. the difference of that total vs. another player's total is a measure of VORP. people have other formulas too, but its all the same base concept.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daweasle » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:58 pm

I found a link to the VORP stats and thought it was kool how they line up like decent rankings(except the players who missed at bats last year for various reasons)
But I haven't really figured out how they translate from positional rankings to overall rankings.

It doesn't really make sense to me because when I put numbers together to compare out fielders to second baseman (for instance) I think it gives too much credit to the 2B
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:04 pm

I used the same positional stdev thing as you guys, but then I combined it with an overall stdev value for each player (equally weighted). It decreases the prominence of 1b with sb, for example, while still holding positional scarcity indicators.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers