So if Maggs becomes a Ranger who becomes the 4th OF? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So if Maggs becomes a Ranger who becomes the 4th OF?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:01 pm

slomo007 wrote:For the most part, you are correct. However, I'm sure I could build an all-star team from non-Boras clients if I had the time to research it. There are other alternatives out there...you just have to be willing to have patience and not need the absolute best player available at the moment...it's all about planning for the future.

you can start with Beltran and Delgado I think - neither of them were Boras clients. wait - maybe Im wrong about Beltran :-?

I think you are very correct though - its all about getting the right player at the right price, and often patience has a great deal to do with it. You dont have to deal with Boras, but its a lot easier if you have a good relationship with him, and for that, Im greatful Dombrowski and Boras have worked together so often - being on good terms with the top agent in the business is a good thing. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cannonarm21 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:19 pm

I'm sorry I do not have a link...

I was reading yesterday that the Brewers were fishing around seeing what it would take to get Nix or Mench. They were more interested in Nix, because he could play CF.

I personally wouldn't want this for the Brewers. I think Brady Clark can hold down CF unitl Krynzel (sp?) is ready.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KPucks » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:21 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
slomo007 wrote:For the most part, you are correct. However, I'm sure I could build an all-star team from non-Boras clients if I had the time to research it. There are other alternatives out there...you just have to be willing to have patience and not need the absolute best player available at the moment...it's all about planning for the future.

you can start with Beltran and Delgado I think - neither of them were Boras clients. wait - maybe Im wrong about Beltran :-?

I think you are very correct though - its all about getting the right player at the right price, and often patience has a great deal to do with it. You dont have to deal with Boras, but its a lot easier if you have a good relationship with him, and for that, Im greatful Dombrowski and Boras have worked together so often - being on good terms with the top agent in the business is a good thing. ;-D

You were wrong about Beltran. He is definintely a Boras client.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:40 pm

IF and I stress IF Maggs comes to Texas, then Mench would most likely get the bulk of time at DH since he's a wee bit injury prone. I'm sure both Hidalgo and Nix would see time at the DH spot as well in order to keep them fresh all year.

Until Maggs shows everyone he's healthy and 100%, I don't see him signing with anyone, anytime soon though. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chadxor » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:43 pm

it's rather hard to sign superstar athletes not affiliated with boras when there really aren't out there on the current market. when you need to fill a gap, you don't wait two or three years just so you can deal with another agent
chadxor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:45 pm

chadxor wrote:it's rather hard to sign superstar athletes not affiliated with boras when there really aren't out there on the current market. when you need to fill a gap, you don't wait two or three years just so you can deal with another agent

That's where we differ in opinion...I would not handicap my team for 3-4 years with a huge contract on an injury ridden star...as opposed to filling the hole with a player who has a good work ethic for a year and then signing someone next offseason. Which would you rather have, a handicapped team for 1 year or for 4?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:51 pm

Madison wrote:Until Maggs shows everyone he's healthy and 100%, I don't see him signing with anyone, anytime soon though. :-°

you are underestimating Boras then. The hype is already at fever pitch and there are about 6 teams that are lining up to throw cash at him currently - and he still hasent worked out.

Im calling it right now - he gets signed without ever working out. He'll undergo a physical, but not work out. The reason I say that is because the Tigers are involved. As usual he is using us as a bargaining chip against the other teams. He already has said "Their doctors have talked with Magglio's doctors, they're certainly comfortable he'll be ready to go by spring training." You can already see the misinformation growing: because their doctors talked to Maggs doctors he's ready to go - no workouts necessary.

As the articles state - he's the best FA on the market - the line forms to the right. You want a workout? ok, we'll call you. ;-7
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:58 pm

Madison wrote:Until Maggs shows everyone he's healthy and 100%, I don't see him signing with anyone, anytime soon though. :-°

Got that right. If Boras is saying no 1-year deals and no DH, Maggs better show off some nice running and cutting ability on that knee in workouts. :-°
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:45 pm

This waiting was intentional. Boras didn't wait this long to take a 1-year contract and there is a quote from Boras in today's articles saying he is looking for a deal similar to Delgado. He also said Maggs has no interest in DHing which is a little surprising.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:15 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

you are underestimating Boras then. The hype is already at fever pitch and there are about 6 teams that are lining up to throw cash at him currently - and he still hasent worked out.

Im calling it right now - he gets signed without ever working out. He'll undergo a physical, but not work out. The reason I say that is because the Tigers are involved. As usual he is using us as a bargaining chip against the other teams. He already has said "Their doctors have talked with Magglio's doctors, they're certainly comfortable he'll be ready to go by spring training." You can already see the misinformation growing: because their doctors talked to Maggs doctors he's ready to go - no workouts necessary.

As the articles state - he's the best FA on the market - the line forms to the right. You want a workout? ok, we'll call you. ;-7

You have to know when to believe an agent and when not to. When it comes to Boras, hype means nothing. Remember Millwood's ghost teams last offseason (something like 6 teams, 7 year deal, over $100 million?)? Never actually materialized though. Ended up with a 1 year deal. Big shocker. ;-7

Anyway, he will have to work out in order for some teams to even make an offer anywhere near what Boras wants. Not working out for the teams shows one of two things: Either A: He's not healthy, or B: Both of them are idiots for eliminating potential teams from the bidding by not working out. Now, I don't believe for one second that Boras or Maggs is stupid, so if he's still refusing to work out for the teams, then I don't buy it that he's healthy and 100%. That means he will get a smaller deal for less money (like a 1 year deal), or some team will be stupid and throw money at him and pray he can get healthy quick.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers