Is Soriano Overrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Soriano Overrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tlef316 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:27 pm

he had 1 bad year. i'm willing to give him a pass and see if he can make a comeback this year. If he goes 35/35 again with 100 runs and a batting average over .280, he'll be a top 5 pick again next year. i think he's very capable of doing so, especially in that ballpark, lineup and division.

As a real life ball player, he's undisciplined and stubborn. Trading him for A-rod was a great deal. the 2003 postseason was brutal. The guy struck out on so many low and outside pitches i wanted to puke.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Soriano Overrated?

Postby red » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:35 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
FoolOnTheHill wrote:Doesn't Giles have more upside?
Giles is great but it isn't even close IMO. Giles is 27 and his career highs are 100 R, 21 HR, 69 RBI, 17 SB, and .316 AVG. Soriano is 29 with career highs of 128 R, 39 HR, 102 RBI, 43 SB and .300 AVG.

Wouldn't you be better off grabbing Giles a few rounds later?
You might be right here. Soriano will be gone by the end of the 2nd and Giles could be a better value pick.

I think the second point is the big one. It's a question of the value of two players in conjunction, not one. Mid-first rounder instead of Soriano: who? Helton? R. Soriano, M. Prior? plus M. Giles v. Soriano and third round pitcher or first baseman or other Carlos Lee?
At this point, I'd be moreinclined to take a surer thing in the first round and gamble that Giles plus the first rounder is the better value combined.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SilentReader » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:43 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Giles is great but it isn't even close IMO. Giles is 27 and his career highs are 100 R, 21 HR, 69 RBI, 17 SB, and .316 AVG. Soriano is 29 with career highs of 128 R, 39 HR, 102 RBI, 43 SB and .300 AVG.

You might be right here. Soriano will be gone by the end of the 2nd and Giles could be a better value pick.

it looks like you've proven the point of why giles DOES have more upside.since giles doesn't have as good of career highs,he has a higher ceiling than soriano and therefore has more upside.
i don't post much,but i'm always lurking...

best fantasy games site = SandboxPlus.com!!
SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:05 pm

SilentReader wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

it looks like you've proven the point of why giles DOES have more upside.since giles doesn't have as good of career highs,he has a higher ceiling than soriano and therefore has more upside.

That is some rather specious reasoning. Going by that Adam Kennedy has more upside than both of them. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby FoolOnTheHill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:30 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:. . . if you watched him bat regularly as I did, you would have been amazed at how this guy swings at balls 3 feet outside and in the dirt with regularity. Man is a completely undiscipline hack. What saves him is his incredibly quick hands and bat speed. He makes up for a lot of mistakes with it but maybe the pitchers have finally realized you do not have to throw him anything resembling a strike. Just throw 3 low and away and he likely will get himself out.

Very helpful discussion so far on this issue -- thanks. But the above reply more closely addresses the real thrust of my question. Looking beyond the numbers to what's actually happening on the field, is there skepticism among the baseball mavens around here about Soriano's staying power as an elite hitter?

As I said earlier, he's a free-swinging, undisciplined, impatient hitter. Are pitchers figuring him out and getting the upper hand? Can Texas' batting instructors teach him anything? Does he have the capacity to improve or have we seen his best?

Ranger folks may have some insight in this . . .
FoolOnTheHill
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:39 pm

FoolOnTheHill wrote:Did the Yankees see something (besides shabby defense) when they shipped Soriano to Texas?

Yes. They saw A-Rod.

Welcome to the Cafe!
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby FoolOnTheHill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:41 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:
FoolOnTheHill wrote:Did the Yankees see something (besides shabby defense) when they shipped Soriano to Texas?

Yes. They saw A-Rod.

Welcome to the Cafe!

Touche. And thanks.
FoolOnTheHill
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:51 pm

For the most part I think he is slightly over rated. I do think he can produce, however I would venture to say that most people cant seem to forget about his season two years ago
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:14 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:For the most part I think he is slightly over rated. I do think he can produce, however I would venture to say that most people cant seem to forget about his season two years ago

Who in the first round isn't overrated? You never see the same top 10 players at the beginning of the season finish top 10 at the end. Year to year, you'd be lucky to see half of them earn what they cost.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Guys

Postby Poon » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:21 pm

I thought moving to Texas would benefit Soriano in two ways. Hitters park and out of the N.Y. spotlight. Isnt everyone entitled to an ajustment period? All the hoopla surrounding his trade last year was crazy. I still have him ranked very high. Im worried I might not be able to pass him up in the first round depending were I draft in my sepentine. If he could cut down his strikeouts he would be a beast. I hear what people are saying about Giles, but the the guy just seems to wreckless for me. This makes Soriano even higher on my list. Please respond.
Poon
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers