Minky and KIM from Boston to NY? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Minky and KIM from Boston to NY?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby logan » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:28 am

from fanball

Mets: Mientkiewicz acquired from Red Sox
THE NEWS

The Mets and Red Sox agreed to a trade on Tuesday that is awaiting MLB approval. The Mets would acquire first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz in exchange for minor league first baseman Ian Bladergroen and cash, the New York Daily News reported. Mientkiewicz split time between the Twins and Red Sox in 2004, hitting .238 with six homers and 36 RBI. Bladergroen, whom the Daily News labeled as the fourth-rated prospect in the organization, hit .342 with 13 homers and 74 RBI in 72 Single-A games before tearing cartilage and ligaments in his left wrist.

OUR VIEW

We're guessing that the trade does not include the World Series ball that Doug still holds. This is great news for the Mets' pitchers, as Mientkiewicz is a Gold Glove fielder that will improve this defense. However, the lefty is ordinary-to-weak at the plate and shouldn't be highly ranked in fantasy leagues. If anything, he'll go late in NL-only drafts.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:34 am

They give a prospect, pick up the 3.75M AND pay cash to the Red Sox for a defensive 1b...wow Minaya is a fool.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:38 am

This a great trade for the Mets in light of losing out on Delgado. The prospect was traded from the Mets depth because they have a lot of 1B at that level and with Wright, Bowman will mostly likely switch to 1st. The money isn't an issue. ;-D
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ghostfacek » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:41 am

bad deal for the mets... bladergroen is very underrated because of the injury.. great move for Bosox... but now another prospect sleeper gets uncovered (i want to smack theo and billy)
ghostfacek
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:45 am

The money is not an issue....mark those words.

I am sure it is not affecting the price of tea in China, but shouldn't a normal GM be getting money from the Red Sox not giving it in this sort of deal? You assume the entire salary, give a prospect AND PAY MORE? This is a defensive 1b we are talking about not some big name 1b talent like Delgado.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:47 am

Minky is useless... I am willing to bet someone else is starting at 1B by June. Phillips?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:52 am

The way Phillips hit in 04, he is lucky he still has a job in the Majors.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:53 am

TheYanks04 wrote:The money is not an issue....mark those words.

I am sure it is not affecting the price of tea in China, but shouldn't a normal GM be getting money from the Red Sox not giving it in this sort of deal? You assume the entire salary, give a prospect AND PAY MORE? This is a defensive 1b we are talking about not some big name 1b talent like Delgado.

PAY MORE? Wanks, you don't even know what you're talking about. Please. Doug M. has a $3.75 team option that has not been picked up by Boston yet. The Mets are paying THAT plus Blade. So they're not paying an ADDITIONAL $3.75. Damn, you constantly run your mouth and have no clue as to what you're talking about. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:58 am

Amazinz wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:The money is not an issue....mark those words.

PAY MORE? Wanks, you don't even know what you're talking about. Please. Doug M. has a $3.75 team option that has not been picked up by Boston yet. The Mets are paying THAT plus Blade. So they're not paying an ADDITIONAL $3.75. Damn, you constantly run your mouth and have no clue as to what you're talking about. ;-)

Why don't you get a clue? I said AND PAY CASH not an additional 3.75 M. And my source is ROTOWORLD...you heard of it haven't you? Even they are questioning it.

Rotoworld:
According to the Associated Press, the Red Sox will receive an A ball prospect and cash from the Mets for Doug Mientkiewicz in a deal that could be announced on Wednesday.
Boston would receive cash? That's probably subject to change.

It does say AND CASH FROM THE METS. So like usual, you are full of it and overly defensive about your team.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby red » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:59 am

I think Minky is the right move; I'd have rather Delgado; but I'm higher on Minky than Olerud (at this stage) or Boras-Lee. They need to get the cleanup hitter somewhere now, though, and that's the key question: Maggs is the obvious "next" but the bidding will get fierce and the knee may not be worth it. A trade could be in the offing.
Yanks does run his mouth off but he's right in saying that Minky isn't the powerhouse: but it's not a move in exclusion. It's a move in conjunction with another one. Whether this is good or bad for the Mets depends on the next move.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers