Transaction Fees or Not? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Transaction Fees or Not?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Transaction Fees or Not?

Postby normkent » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:32 am

Starting a new league and many guys are saying they do not like any transacation fees...........wondering who out there feels contra or similarly and why or whether anyone has feelings on the subject...is it better to limit transactions with fees or just provide unlimited transactions without the...................
The Daybreaker
normkent
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:35 am

Transaction fees won't limit the number of transactions. It will sweeten the pot and force people to make better decisions. I can't imagine a money league without transaction fees IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby John Bonzo » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:38 am

i like to have a certain number of free transactions, then have a fee....like 25 free transactions or so.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:59 am

Hmmm....I have never charged a tranastion fee in any league I have run. Do not see the need and do not need the bookkeeping. I really do not think they add a thing to a league. If you have guys churning or streaming, then your rules are not set up right and you fix the rules, not charge fees for every move, IMO. But that is me.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jaydog2314 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:16 am

It depends really on whether you have done a league with these friends before. For example last year in the league I run we did NOT have transaction fees but we WILL this year. The reason we are charging this year is that last year a few guys ended playing what I like to call the pitching carousel, meaning they would add and drop numerous pitchers during a week to get there starts and thus taking categories like IP and Ks, etc. I think charging this year will help eliminate SOME not all of that. A few guys were well over 100+ transactions and one guy even got over 200 hundred. So i think charging something small like 25 or 50 cents isnt a bad idea. PLus it's nice to help make the pot bigger at the end of the year. Plus I know with talking with my buddies "HAD" we charged for transactions last year they would not have made as many moves. On a side note we charged this past year in fantasy football for the first time and it helped contain mass drops and adds and gave us a few extra hundred dollars to payout to the winner. Good luck
"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"
-Homer Simpson
jaydog2314
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:33 am

Why not just limit innings a week to a reasonable number? That cuts the churning and streaming out without having to charge and even worse, keep the books on it as commish. Again, I think that is a matter of the rules not being set properly to prevent nonsense and charging is sort of a way to try to cure the symptom but not the underlying cause of the disease.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:41 am

Personally I like transaction fees, but many leagues stear away from them anymore bucause it turns the commish into an accountant, and takes away all his fun. You ask any commish who ran a league with transaction fees and they will all tell you it gets real old chasing around direlect owners real quik.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1159)

Postby jaydog2314 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:34 am

as a commish i can say that it's not hard to keep track of the fees. my league uses yahoo and right on the front page it tells you how many transactions a team has done. if simple math is difficult then yeah i guess it's hard to keep track of otherwise it's just simple multiplication. I understand people's theory on that maybe it's a sign of an underlying rules problem but i disagree. Calling it nonsense isn't a way to look at it. There are many theories and strategies for fantasy baseball and one of those theories is adding and dropping pitchers on a weekly basis. While many may not like that strategy it is an acceptable one, so then charging a minimal fee for transactions makes sure that people who are using that theory to get an edge have some ramifications and in the end will have to pay more than others to use their theory. Basically I think calling it a rules problem seems like a lazy excuse to not perform simple multiplication at the end of the year.
"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"
-Homer Simpson
jaydog2314
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:39 am

apparently we have different friends .....

I still have a 200.00 marker in my wallet from a poker game 1 year ago. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1159)

Re: Transaction Fees or Not?

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:43 am

normkent wrote:Starting a new league and many guys are saying they do not like any transacation fees...........wondering who out there feels contra or similarly and why or whether anyone has feelings on the subject...is it better to limit transactions with fees or just provide unlimited transactions without the...................

I'm a cheapskate so I don't like transaction fees myself. I think you should just limit the total number of transactions a team can do.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers