Why do people talk about Mig Cabrera as a mini-pujols? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do people talk about Mig Cabrera as a mini-pujols?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:06 am

chinch sacs wrote:What exactly is a gangbuster? :-B

I don't know. It sounded cool when I was writing it. :*)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:22 am

The Mavens' Word of the Day wrote:The original sense of gangbuster was the disappointingly obvious 'one who busts gangs', specifically, 'a law-enforcement official who is actively engaged in breaking up criminal gangs'.

Wonder if Elliot Ness could go the other way with a breaking ball?
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JTWood » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:36 am

WharfRat wrote:While we're talking about Pujols: Am I the only one who laughs when I go to his player page on ESPN.com and sees that the proper pronunciation for his name is written "poo-holes"? Or maybe I'm an idiot.

I would guess that there's quite a few of us that think that is very funny.

:-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Re: Why do people talk about Mig Cabrera as a mini-pujols?

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:46 am

Music2004Man wrote:I understand that not many 21 yr olds can hit 33 HR's and 112 RBIs but I don't think he's anywhere near Pujols? Cabrera's SO/BB ratio is pretty bad and his average isn't even 300? I understand that he has a lot of upside and Delgado hitting behind him will help but I don't understand the Pujols comparisons. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

I've always called him Manny, Jr. Look at Manny's stats when he started out especially in 95 and 96. That's the same type of progress I believe M-Cab should make over his career.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby JTWood » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:21 am

Amazinz wrote:I guess the comparison is there because they both came into the league at 21 like gangbusters. Cabrera is more impressive to me because (personal opinion) Pujols was more like 23-24 his first year in the league.

Pujols was born in 1980. He just turned 25 last week. He was 21 when he rushed up to the Majors with less than one year of Minor League experience.

As for Miggy being mini-Pujols, I guess I can see the comparison. But there are a lot of "mini" things about Cabrera's game when he's compared to Pujols. It's really hard to compare anyone other than Bonds to Pujols. Those two are really in a league of their own.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby cordscords » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:44 am

cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby grammysboy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:05 am

I think the main reason people tend to compare the two is because of the flexibility each showed by playing multiple positions early in their careers. His first year up, Cabrera played 3B & both corner OF positions. I don't remember exactly, but "Poo-holes" was eligible at 1B,3B and Of at the auction last season.

That and the fact that both are exceptional hitters might invite comparison.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Woolly » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:31 pm

I don't see Cab being able to attain Pujols status if for no other fact than that Pujols was already married when he started to break out. I'm just saying that a SINGLE young superstar might have other things that could slow down his game!
Woolly
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Joe Mauer » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:00 pm

chinch sacs wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I guess the comparison is there because they both came into the league at 21 like gangbusters. Cabrera is more impressive to me because (personal opinion) Pujols was more like 23-24 his first year in the league.

His plate discipline is poor but if he can improve it I can definitely see him being the next Pujols but until he does the comparisons are premature.

What exactly is a gangbuster? :-B

Gangbusters refers to firing a gun at a rapid rate....thus, this use of the term is correct as both performed at a higher level than expected of them....thus, they improved at a rapid rate. ;-D

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers