Why do people talk about Mig Cabrera as a mini-pujols? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do people talk about Mig Cabrera as a mini-pujols?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why do people talk about Mig Cabrera as a mini-pujols?

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:49 pm

I understand that not many 21 yr olds can hit 33 HR's and 112 RBIs but I don't think he's anywhere near Pujols? Cabrera's SO/BB ratio is pretty bad and his average isn't even 300? I understand that he has a lot of upside and Delgado hitting behind him will help but I don't understand the Pujols comparisons. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:07 pm

I've never heard that one before, but I can see th logic. Both are prodigies, for one--but Cabrera isn't as good as Pujols. Hence, mini-Pujols. Check out Pujols' season when he was 21. His power numbers were better, but not by much. Yeah, his average was higher, but if memory serves, his K/BB was like 60/90 or something--again, not so bad as Cabrera, but not terrific. So the logic makes sense, in the same way that I'd call Carlos Zambrano a mini-Schilling, maybe....? Or maybe that's not the right comparison.

While we're talking about Pujols: Am I the only one who laughs when I go to his player page on ESPN.com and sees that the proper pronunciation for his name is written "poo-holes"? Or maybe I'm an idiot.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:08 pm

I guess the comparison is there because they both came into the league at 21 like gangbusters. Cabrera is more impressive to me because (personal opinion) Pujols was more like 23-24 his first year in the league.

His plate discipline is poor but if he can improve it I can definitely see him being the next Pujols but until he does the comparisons are premature.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:36 pm

Beyond the #s, the thing that stands out for Cabrera is his level of confidence. He looks like this giant 14-year old, but you can tell he feels he belongs on that field. There is not an ounce of deer-in-the headlights in his eyes.

It wouldn't mean so much without the #s, but combined with the fact that he hits like a veteran, it becomes something special.

The last time I saw a young player with a look in his eye like he belonged there and the bat to back it up was Pujols. Maybe that's where the comparison is coming from.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RynMan » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:48 pm

I have heard him compared to a young Manny Ramirez more than Pujols. This seems like a fairer comparison to me. I don't think he shows the plate discipline and use of the whole field to be Pujols like.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Fool42 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:31 am

I also have heard of more as mini-Manny than mini-Pujols
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:39 am

RynMan wrote:I have heard him compared to a young Manny Ramirez more than Pujols. This seems like a fairer comparison to me. I don't think he shows the plate discipline and use of the whole field to be Pujols like.

Agreed. He does make adjustments at the plate. I followed him pretty closely in 04 (thank you Extra innings) and he has serious pop to all fields as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Justise » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:17 am

Amazinz wrote:I guess the comparison is there because they both came into the league at 21 like gangbusters. Cabrera is more impressive to me because (personal opinion) Pujols was more like 23-24 his first year in the league.

His plate discipline is poor but if he can improve it I can definitely see him being the next Pujols but until he does the comparisons are premature.

Pujols just turned 25, 9 days ago.

Mini-Pujols; exceled right out of the minors, very young, stats not as impressive.

If he was called Pujols 2, then he should have Same stats.

Thus, Mini-Pujols
Justise
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:54 am

Justise wrote:Pujols just turned 25, 9 days ago.

Supposedly. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chinch sacs » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:01 am

Amazinz wrote:I guess the comparison is there because they both came into the league at 21 like gangbusters. Cabrera is more impressive to me because (personal opinion) Pujols was more like 23-24 his first year in the league.

What exactly is a gangbuster? :-B
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers