30 minimum ip too many? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

30 minimum ip too many?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

30 minimum ip too many?

Postby tuff_gong » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:56 pm

my head2head league this year is pondering raising the minimum ip from 20 to 30. the whole time i have said 25 is fine, but the commish is insisting 30. we have 4 possible sp slots, (2 sp, 2 p, 2 rp), and have a C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF, UTILITY, and either 8, 9, or 10 bench spots. Do you think 30 minimum ip is too many for this setup?

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daweasle » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:30 pm

EDITED: THIS POST IS LONG AND DRAWN OUT - ONLY READ IF YOU'RE REALLY BORED OR INTERESTED.

what are the categories?
and how many waiver/free agent pickups are you allowed per season?

I guess it depends if this is a competitive - money league or a "buddies" league for fun.

If it were unlimited transactions for the season....and a big pot of money.....someone could potentially add/drop a crappy pitcher every single day of the week to keep padding stats. I did it one year to show the dumbasses in my league it would work.

on the other hand - with 10 bench spots you potentionally grab all closers/setup men and have good ERA/WHIP but relatively no Ks and by the end of each week you could easily cover 25 IP with all middle relief/setup/closers

So lets say it's 6X6 categories -

your first 7 picks you get the BEST POSSIBLE BATS. no matter what forget pitching - (it's useless.)

then picks 8-9 you get THE BEST CLOSERS available.

then picks 10-11 you get a couple backup batters - preferably good hitters with multiple position eligibility.

pick 12 best closer available.

picks 13 - to the end - the best relief pitchers you can find with low ERA WHIP - doesn't matter about their Ks cause you're going to lose that category every week anyways. (get closers if available) try to find at least a couple who have SP eligibility. theres alot out there.

DO YOU WIN? YES>
SO - for the 6 hitting categories - you should clean up (your first seven picks were all batters - while the other guys in your league drafted batters and pitchers)

lets say you toss SB (before hand you have to plan this out.)
focus only on the other five cats.

so every week - in offense you go 5-1(some weeks 4-2)

Pitching -
W - you lose every week cause you have no starters.
L - you win every week cause you have no starters.
SAVES - you win every week cause you have 4-5 closers.
Ks - you lose every week due to minimum innings pitched.
ERA - you're competitive and probably win every week - setup men and closers are the best pitchers (compared to every one else who fields - 2 stud starters and three scrubs. plus closers etc.)
WHIP - same as ERA

so in pitching you're going to go 3-3 maybe even 4-2 most weeks(If you toss out losses and make it only 5 pitching categories you can still go 3-2 or 2-3 every single week.)

SO all your batters have to do is cover 3-2 and you win all season long.

(Thats just a discussion in the fact that any scoring system can be easily manipulated in order to take advantage of the way the league was setup. Except 5X5 - with game limits, IP limits and a limit on number of free agent pickups.)

Dam I can't believe i wasted 15 minutes typing all that. :-[
Last edited by daweasle on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby daweasle » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:35 pm

daweasle wrote:what are the categories?
If it were unlimited transactions for the season....and a big pot of money.....someone could potentially add/drop a crappy pitcher every single day of the week to keep padding stats. I did it one year to show the dumbasses in my league it would work. :-[

AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS WHERE I GOT THE NAME THE WEASLE.

( it used to be the "waiver wire weasle." )

We argued before the season about the limit on the number of transactions free agent pickups - and everyone said no limit - no limit - I said well that would be stupid. But they wouldn't listen to me - so I showed them how stupid it was.

I went like 18-3 in my head to head W-L record that season.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Jury » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:40 am

30 should be pretty attainable.

If you use half of those 6 slots for SP (2 SP + 1 P) and get an average of six innings, say one pitcher gets 2 starts per week, that's 24 innings. Your reliever can pick up the rest of the 6 remining IP, or you might have more than 4 starts per week.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:04 am

Depends if you use weekly or daily rosters. If weekly, the 25 is fine as 4 SPs and your relievers hould get that. If daily, then you need a min and a max to stop the nonsense and 30 is probably more in the area of realistic, IMO. And a max not too much above that at say 35-40.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: 30 minimum ip too many?

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:52 am

tuff_gong wrote:my head2head league this year is pondering raising the minimum ip from 20 to 30. the whole time i have said 25 is fine, but the commish is insisting 30. we have 4 possible sp slots, (2 sp, 2 p, 2 rp), and have a C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF, UTILITY, and either 8, 9, or 10 bench spots. Do you think 30 minimum ip is too many for this setup?

30 isn't too many. Most people in an active league should have around 60 or more in a given week.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Return to Baseball Leftovers