Draft Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Strategy

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:04 pm

Looking for a little advice as I plan my draft strategy. It's a 16 team ixed 6x6 league (traditionals, plus OPS and Holds). Two years ago I won going away; last year I had a strong finish after floundering near the bottom to wind up 5th (missed 3rd by two points, but #1 was about 50 points up). I generally had strong pitching, but my offense struggled, especially in BA and OPS.

My ten keepers are: Pujols, Soriano, Lowell, Derrek Lee, David Wright, Halladay, CZam, Ol Perez, Od perez, AJ Burnett.

My thoughts: While my SP may be a little injury prone, I think they'll be OK. I won't pick many starters until very late, hoping to find a decent arm or two that is overlooked. Unless Wright really has high SBs, I think I need to get one or two good high average SB threats in the first 5-6 rounds of the draft. I should be OK in other offensive categories, as long as I don't let shut out with dreck at SS or C. As I do that I need to find some way to get some saves and holds. Pujols' heel is a concern, but if he goes out, it's going to be tough to win without a lot of luck.

Plan:
Rounds 11-15: focus on high average SB at SS and OF and a reasonably steady closer; maybe try to catch a reasonable 1B backup incase Pujols is hurt
16-20: get an acceptable C and SS if not already on board, as well as a mix of closers and holders.
21-25: Sleeper or bottom tier closer, holders, and strong rookie.

Thoughts on basic strategy? Once I get the last keeper list, I'll pst my targets and see what you think...
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:55 pm

Isn't Derrek Lee your backup at 1st in case Pujols goes down?
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:57 pm

A list of available players would help, but I from your team those seem like reasonable goals. I doubt you'll find some of those things if you're starting with the top 160 already gone though. :-? You may want to make some trades for a better SS than you would get in the draft -- just a thought -- maybe someone like Lowell since you've already got Wright. You may also shop Zambrano around since his value will still be pretty high either after or during the draft to fill some of your needs. Hope that helps a little. :*)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:53 pm

bleach168 wrote:Isn't Derrek Lee your backup at 1st in case Pujols goes down?

DOH! Yeah, thanks. My brain is fried,
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:04 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:A list of available players would help, but I from your team those seem like reasonable goals. I doubt you'll find some of those things if you're starting with the top 160 already gone though. :-? You may want to make some trades for a better SS than you would get in the draft -- just a thought -- maybe someone like Lowell since you've already got Wright. You may also shop Zambrano around since his value will still be pretty high either after or during the draft to fill some of your needs. Hope that helps a little. :*)

I'm still waiting on the last keeper list from a new manager, but so far available SS include Furcal, Rollins, OCab and Khalil Greene. I think I'm OK if I can get one of them.

On speedsters, so far Crawford, Pierre, Jeremy Reed, Figgins, B. Roberts, Chris Burke, A. Boone, Crisp, Lew Ford, Lawton, Clint Barmes, and Alexis Rios would seem to be options.

I agree that if some of those guys aren't available, I have some depth at 3B and SP that I could deal after getting some coverage in the draft.

Thanks for the help.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:08 pm

Lowell is a great trade candidate. I would try to get either a SS or a closer for him before the draft. If you do so, it will free you up a bit during the draft.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Stunners » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:58 am

Hmmm yeah looking at your team you should prob definetly grab Furcal at ss for the 25 sbs. That way you can easily get 40-50 when you include guys you take at of. As someone just mentioned you should definetly ditch lowell for some solid OF. Your pitching staff seem solid and you can easily grab closers in draft. You also cant use chone figgins or briant roberts seeing as you have soriano and not to mention you prob use lee at util. If you can just add furcal, and hopefully a few OF at draft. Then trade lowel and maybe an of draftedl for an upgrade at OF seems you could have a very solid team in 16 deep.
Stunners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:44 am

GTWMA - if you have the opportunity to get Crawford, how could you pass it up?

How is he possibly not kept in the first 160 picks? :-?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:00 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:GTWMA - if you have the opportunity to get Crawford, how could you pass it up?

Because his value takes a hit with OPS maybe :-? Truthfully I'm not sure why he's still available, if he's there you've gotta take him ;-D If not Rollins then Furcal seem like a good bet.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:26 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:GTWMA - if you have the opportunity to get Crawford, how could you pass it up?

There is still one keeper list to be turned in, because one of our managers dropped out and the new guy just came in. Crawford is one of his guys, and I would guess that he'll be kept.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I want to reclaim my title, but it's going to be a dogfight.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers