State tax difference - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

State tax difference

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

State tax difference

Postby Dude86 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:06 pm

How come the state tax on free agent contracts wasn't an issue until this year? Are there new laws or something, or is it just like a hot topic this year?
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:11 pm

No it's always been an issue but it's getting blown out of proportion this year. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:12 pm

It has been brought up before. In fact I know that some states tax visiting team's players on how many games they played there.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:15 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:It has been brought up before. In fact I know that some states tax visiting team's players on how many games they played there.

They all do if the state has a tax. This is one of the issues being over-looked. For instance, Pujols only pay's tax on half his salary in St. Louis the rest is paid in the other states he played in.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:16 pm

Amazinz wrote:No it's always been an issue but it's getting blown out of proportion this year. ;-)

i don't think its getting blow out of proportion at all. i guess when we're talking millions and millions of dollars maybe it doesn't seem that important, but that's some serious commie-style coercive levies that new york demands.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:29 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Amazinz wrote:No it's always been an issue but it's getting blown out of proportion this year. ;-)

i don't think its getting blow out of proportion at all. i guess when we're talking millions and millions of dollars maybe it doesn't seem that important, but that's some serious commie-style coercive levies that new york demands.

I'm not disregarding the difference in money. Obviously it is very important but it's the reports of how much money teams need to offer above and beyond that are blown out of proportion. Take FLA and NY for example, the difference is ~$35.5K per million dollars.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby red » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:32 pm

Amazinz wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

I'm not disregarding the difference in money. Obviously it is very important but it's the reports of how much money teams need to offer above and beyond that are blown out of proportion. Take FLA and NY for example, the difference is ~$35.5K per million dollars.

Am I the only one who thinks that's a lot of money?
35.5K/year per million. Therefore 12M/year = 426K.
In most places in the country: that's a nice house!
I dunno, if someone said to me that New York State was going to take a house away every year (for my grandkids, my great grandkids, Ronald McDonald house, whatever) I'd think that's a big deal...
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:36 pm

Lol. Yes it's a lot of money for me too. But it's not that big of a deal that it's a disadvantage for the Mets or the Yankees which is how it's portrayed. :-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby jellyroll » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

According to:
http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.html

No state tax in Florida and up to 7.7% in NY so per $1M that's 77k, correct?

Not a lot but not negligible either.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:41 pm

No wonder nobody wants to some to Canada... it's like 29% here or something like that. 7.7% is like union dues!

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers