Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Delgado likely to Miami

Postby red » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:02 pm

red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:05 pm

The Miami Herald is citing sources who claim that that the Marlins are the front-runners to land free agent Carlos Delgado as their new first baseman. "The Marlins are in prime position right now," one source said. "I would be surprised if it went in another direction. I think he's going to be a Marlin." Meanwhile, the New York Post reports that the Mets have improved their offer to around $51 million for four years. However, that is their "walk-away number."

$51 million in NY is less than $48 million in Texas after state income taxes... why would he go to NYM??

The marlins probably would be the best fit for him, but it kills me to see another team in the NL east make a big acquisition this offseason. this could knock the brave's offense down to 4th best in the division, and while their staff is still the tops (IMO), it'll be a lot tougher to win again now that they're pitching against beltran and delgado. (assuming baltimore doesn't step up and get him. ;-D )
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:06 pm

So now I think we've heard that each Texas, NYM, and Florida are all the frontrunners for Delgado. I'll believe it when I see it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:09 pm

it's probably dude's agent trying to stir up buzz/bids. if you're the "front runner" and you lose him, that means you've screwed something up, right? ;-) and these GM want to be known as screwups. ;-)

i dunno. maybe he'll end up in Kansas City.

George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby red » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:18 pm

George_Foreman wrote:i dunno. maybe he'll end up in Kansas City.

LOL ;-D
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby red » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:20 pm

For what it's worth; I actually do think he will sign with Florida; it's close to Puerto Rico, they're a contender, and the money is a wash (if not a little better given NY's tax laws). And, for whatever reason, the agent seems to be leading him away from the Mets. The O's may just plain outbid Florida at the 11th hour; but unless they beat it by several million I doubt he goes to a non-contender at this point in his career.
The money at Florida is backloaded: but it's not like the dude needs money...
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:40 pm

These Delgado negotiations have been strange.

The Mets are at $51M, Orioles at $50M and Florida at $48M. There is a state tax difference (although the difference isn't as large as some people are implying) but Florida's offer is heavily deferred which makes the offer substantially less valuable than both New York and Baltimore's offer. The marketing opportunities are much greater in NY than the other cities and NY has the largest Puerto Rican population outside of Puerto Rico.

And now Delgado is saying he might not decide until next weekend which leads me to believe he really doesn't want to play in NY. After seeing the way Sloane used and treated Texas (at least apparently) I definitely get the feeling that NY and Baltimore are just being used to get the Marlins to up their offer.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby red » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:48 pm

Amazinz wrote:
And now Delgado is saying he might not decide until next weekend which leads me to believe he really doesn't want to play in NY. After seeing the way Sloane used and treated Texas (at least apparently) I definitely get the feeling that NY and Baltimore are just being used to get the Marlins to up their offer.

Hey, nice tip: where'd you get that, that he won't decide until next weekend?
If so, I totally agree with you.
Maybe he's waiting for Magglio to sign somewhere (some rumors starting to float) and then he'll get VERY high offers because he'll be the last guy standing.???
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:52 pm

i'm pretty sure mags is waiting until delgado signs. boras's strategy is probably that, as long as there is someone else out there who is less of an injury risk, there will be a better option than mags. but once delgado is gone, there's no one left and teams who want to add a bat (or even just a big name player) will have to deal with the injury risk to mags.

that is, assuming he wants a long-term deal. someone suggested (and i agreed) that a good business move would be to sign somewhere like texas that has has a good park/lineup and pad your stats for a year. then go for a long-term deal elsewhere.

George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:56 pm

red wrote:Hey, nice tip: where'd you get that, that he won't decide until next weekend?

It was reported by CBS and FOX. I didn't hear it first hand but it's being talked about on NYFS and MarlinsBaseball.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers