Abreu vs. Manny - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Abreu vs. Manny

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:37 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:welcome to the cafe DM ;-D

Nice job with the argument against LBJ and SA - they're just a couple numbers punks - dont listen to them.

:-b

anyways - how do you explain the drastic drop in Peavy's stats after two +4ERA, +1.3WHIP seasons prior to last yr?

I've found LBJ pretty cool, but also unwilling to change his views. What a punk ;-)

He was 21 and 22 when he posted those seasons...not to mention the fact those were in Qualcomm with a suspect bullpen. The pen last year for the Padres really helped Peavy out. Plus, he's clutch!
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:46 am

Sorry to painfully prolong this, but... No one mentions DIPS, eh? I guess it is pretty passé by now. Oh, well, I've never been one to care. ;-7

Peavy: 3.21
Zambrano: 3.65
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby fantasyfiend » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:04 am

Pedantic wrote:Sorry to painfully prolong this, but... No one mentions DIPS, eh? I guess it is pretty passé by now. Oh, well, I've never been one to care. ;-7

Peavy: 3.21
Zambrano: 3.65

Its funny, you simply destroyed the argument in a matter of 2 minutes.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:14 am

DIPS doesn't take ballpark and defense into account, or many other factors. My ERA system I created does ( :-] ) and according to it Peavy should have been at 2.75 and Zam should have been at 2.91. Not as drastic a change as DIPS would say.

And I don't change my views because I'm right }:-)

BTW I'd take Manny over Abreu. Just to keep this on topic.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:15 am

LBJackal wrote:DIPS doesn't take ballpark and defense into account, or many other factors. My ERA system I created does ( :-] ) and according to it Peavy should have been at 2.75 and Zam should have been at 2.91. Not as drastic a change as DIPS would say.

It's too bad that formula of yours doesn't take a pitchers clutch ability into consideration.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:22 am

davidmarver wrote:
LBJackal wrote:DIPS doesn't take ballpark and defense into account, or many other factors. My ERA system I created does ( :-] ) and according to it Peavy should have been at 2.75 and Zam should have been at 2.91. Not as drastic a change as DIPS would say.

It's too bad that formula of yours doesn't take a pitchers clutch ability into consideration.

Yeah I'll have to create another one especially for Peavy and his clutch-ness ;-7

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:50 am

How did a Manny/Abreu thread, turn into a Peavy thread?

I would take Manny in the long run, but for 1 year i might go Abreu. I'm not sure why Abreus year was called a career year, since he matched last years ops and RC/27, in previous years. And his value was only $2 higher then ever before.

Getting to Peavy and clutch, this thread is the most blatant use on misusing numbers i have seen in here. To call a guy anything, much less clutch, because he fared well in a small sample size of stats like risp, is just plain silly. Understand that a given year of era, can have holes wide enough to drive a truck through. I like Peavy alot, but his 04 era was way off the mark. The DIPS era was already shown. In a given year, luck can play a huge part in era. Hit rate %, and strand rate % for example. They can effect era if the % rate is off the average rate. Peavy's strand rate was a obscene 84%, 9% over average. A 5% difference can effect era. Using xERA, Peavys era was 2.98. His 2.28 era was a fluke. This means he had quite a bit off luck last year. With no luck, good or bad, his true era is in the 3, to low 3 range. Don't judge a player by one years era, and his numbers in small sample size stats.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:56 am

HOOTIE wrote:How did a Manny/Abreu thread, turn into a Peavy thread?

I would take Manny in the long run, but for 1 year i might go Abreu. I'm not sure why Abreus year was called a career year, since he matched last years ops and RC/27, in previous years. And his value was only $2 higher then ever before.

Getting to Peavy and clutch, this thread is the most blatant use on misusing numbers i have seen in here. To call a guy anything, much less clutch, because he fared well in a small sample size of stats like risp, is just plain silly. Understand that a given year of era, can have holes wide enough to drive a truck through. I like Peavy alot, but his 04 era was way off the mark. The DIPS era was already shown. In a given year, luck can play a huge part in era. Hit rate %, and strand rate % for example. They can effect era if the % rate is off the average rate. Peavy's strand rate was a obscene 84%, 9% over average. A 5% difference can effect era. Using xERA, Peavys era was 2.98. His 2.28 era was a fluke. This means he had quite a bit off luck last year. With no luck, good or bad, his true era is in the 3, to low 3 range. Don't judge a player by one years era, and his numbers in small sample size stats.

I would not call it luck when he pitches in possibly the best pitchers park and has a great bullpen behind him to bail him out of jams. Those drive down ERA's plenty. He still plays in Petco this year with a great bullpen. Expect more of the same.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:01 am

davidmarver wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:How did a Manny/Abreu thread, turn into a Peavy thread?

I would not call it luck when he pitches in possibly the best pitchers park and has a great bullpen behind him to bail him out of jams. Those drive down ERA's plenty. He still plays in Petco this year with a great bullpen. Expect more of the same.

Don't argue with Hootie about stats. You'll learn that pretty quick :-D

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:16 am

I didn't find those stats very meaningful. All I remember about them is a formula that obviously, in this case, did not predict it correctly. I don't call it luck, I call it a problem with the formula.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers