Magglio meets the Tigers. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Magglio meets the Tigers.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Magglio meets the Tigers.

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:53 am

Magglio Ordonez met with the Tigers today according to the AP. If they could somehow manage to sign Magglio the Tigers would go a long way to strengthening their team. Though I wouldn't expect him to come to Detriot or hit for the same 30 HR power in Comerica National Park, he could still bat for a high average and drive in runs consistantly.

They could then also think of packaging up some surplus outfielders like White and Sanchez to improve their pitching. What say you, fellow Tigers' fans? Do they have a chance? What impact could he have for your Motor City Kitties?

Here's a link, saying nothing really. I'd look for Lynn Henning to have something more in the morning D News.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/01/24/bc.bba.tigers.ordonez.ap/
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:08 pm

It sounds like a lot of teams are scared off by Magglio's health. It may be a risk to sign Magglio, but I think a team like the Tigers needs to take chances like this. As I've said before, they made the surprise Pudge signing last year (Urbina was a bit surprising too), so I don't see any reason to think they have no chance whatsoever. I'm not losing sleep over it, but I am a bit intrigued by the possibility.

I'd love to see an outfield of Magglio, Craig Monroe, and Nook Logan. Our currently projected one just doesn't excite me very much.
Bobby Higginson - He's declined a fair amount and has less upside than Monroe
Rondell White - A solid, but unspectacular hitter who is a notorious injury risk
Alex Sanchez - Steals many bases and has a good average, but that masks his many deficiencies (ie, not a great fielder, poor baserunner, poor plate discipline)

Just my thoughts. I think the AL Central could be a very close division this year. I think every team has a good chance, except KC.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:54 pm

As long as we can structure his contract based on insentives and injury risk, then do it. If we can get a contract similar to the way Pudge's contract was formed, the risk of injury to the bottom line is minimized. Boras has a healthy relationship with the Tigers, and has shown he has no problems with an incentive driven contract, so I'm pretty positive on where this is heading.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Tigers