Grieve signs with Pittsburgh - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Grieve signs with Pittsburgh

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GameOn » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:13 am

Ben Grieve went to my high school...so did todd van poppel...guess that doesn't say a lot about my high school lol
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:15 am

Troy Glaus, Brady Anderson, and Scott Karl have gone to my high school.

On the football side, Ted Johnson and Colin Branch.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BostonBK7 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:32 am

davidmarver wrote:Troy Glaus, Brady Anderson, and Scott Karl have gone to my high school.

Dang, what kind of high school do you go to?? The only famous person that I know from my school was one of the Survivor winners from several years ago :-D
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:37 am

BostonBK7 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Troy Glaus, Brady Anderson, and Scott Karl have gone to my high school.

Dang, what kind of high school do you go to?? The only famous person that I know from my school was one of the Survivor winners from several years ago :-D

Carlsbad High School. We're also home to over 20 national surf champions.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:37 am

Hmmmm....

well the national champion wrestler went to my school. And my gym teacher won a Grey Cup :*)

No baseball players though (although a friend of mine is going to college in Ohio for baseball and was apparently going to live at Rick Nash's place - Rick Nash is from the same small city as me)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:42 am

I left out Stacey Stitts...gold medal olympic swimmer. Her mom and dad still teach at the school. Had mom for chemistry last year.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:25 am

For those non believers

Grieve Joins Pirates' Outfield Mix

POSTED: 10:15 pm EST January 24, 2005

Pittsburgh, PA -- The Pittsburgh Pirates Monday agreed to terms with former American League Rookie of Year Ben Grieve on a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Grieve, who batted .260 with eight home runs and 35 RBI with Milwaukee and the Chicago Cubs last season, will vie for time in a Pittsburgh outfield that includes 2004 NL Rookie of the Year Jason Bay, Matt Lawton, who was acquired in an offseason trade with Cleveland, Craig Wilson, Rob Mackowiak and Tike Redman.

The 28-year-old Grieve won top rookie honors in 1998 with Oakland and averaged 24 home runs and 93 RBI during his first three major-league seasons. However, his offensive production has tailed off since leaving the Athletics after the 2000 campaign.

A career .269 hitter, Grieve has totaled 118 home runs and 491 RBI over eight years with Oakland, Tampa Bay, Milwaukee and the Cubs.

Copyright 2004 Courtesy of SportsNetwork.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:43 am

AS LBJ stated, he's not that terrible. His career .810 OPS is decent, as well as his career .367 OBP (.361 last year). Problem is that the power he showed in Oakland has pretty much disappeared and he plays awful, awful defense.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:46 am

davidmarver wrote:
BostonBK7 wrote:

Carlsbad High School. We're also home to over 20 national surf champions.

Wow. My wife has been teaching at Carlsbad for 2 years now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:33 pm

I suppose they do have to find some people to compete in ST, but I don't know about this one...Why make the outfield look any more crowded? Bay will play every day; Lawton should play at least 120 games. Now you possibly throw in Grieve to split time with Redman, Craig, and Mackoviak (who they just re-signed)?

Personally, I'd love to see Mackoviak out there every day - if he'd just learn to lay off inside curveballs... :-[

I'm thinking Ben could be the Pirates '05 version of Matt Stairs. Grieve's fantasy impact - probably about as good as any other Pirate not named Perez, Bay, or Wilson. :-/
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers