Closer situation in ARI,TOR,CUBS,MIL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Closer situation in ARI,TOR,CUBS,MIL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closer situation in ARI,TOR,CUBS,MIL

Postby tiger spit » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:01 am

what is the closer situation in toronto, arizona and on the cubs?

TOR= jason frasor,justin speier look to be the ones w/ the job.kotch is in the minors so who knows...

ARI= G. Aquino , seems to have the job. whats the chances of valverde getting it back. oh and mike koplove too...

CUBS= Dempster i heard had the job but it looks like a wrech there w/ hawkins,bowkoski,farrnsworth

MIL= mike adams has the job i heard but what is the deal w/ capellan? plus i heard some rumors about justin Lehre taking over..
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daweasle » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:15 am

I think speir is the guy in toronto.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby accohen » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:34 am

The Toronto situation is still unknown, with Speier and Frasor going into the spring as the favorites. I believe I read somewhere that the manager favors Speier, but it is much too early to know.

Same goes for Arizona; one would expect Valverde to get the nod over Aquino, as based on pure stuff, Jose has Greg beat....but too early to tell...

As for the Cubs, Dusty was recently quoted as saying that while Dempster seems to be 'everyone's choice' going into the year, he still feels that at least going into ST, it is LaTroy's job to lose....

Lastly, as for the Brewers.....the current favorite is probably the recently signed Ricky Botallico, with Mike Adams having potential. I doubt they will be looking at Capellan to close so early in his career.

Also, theinsidepitch.com always has excellent insight into current and future closer situations...hope this helps!!
accohen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:43 am

Last I have read Speier has the job in Tor. That is not saying much of course a sthe Tor pen may be the worst in all MLB.

Botallico apparently has the job for now in Milw...but we all know he blows, so like tor, the Milw closer is not worth squat.

Cubbies...Baker is the NL version of Piniella, i.e., has not got a clue about pitching. Hawkins or Dempster. WHo knows as no matter who gets it he is on a short leash. Dempster stinks and Hawkins pretty much showed he does nothave the guts for the job.

Ariz...apparently it is Aquino's to lose. We shall see here to, but Aquino did an OK job last season, so he may be the most valuable of this lot right now.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GSes » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:52 am

right now pre spring

Cubs = Latroy Hawkins (dempster? lol come on)

Brewers = Mike adams

Totonto = Spier (frasor right behind him)

Arizona = Aquino (valverde right on his ass)
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:35 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Botallico apparently has the job for now in Milw...but we all know he blows, so like tor, the Milw closer is not worth squat.

I don't quite understand this statement. First of all, I don't know where you get your "info" from, but Adams is the frontrunner. It's his job to lose as of now. Secondly, how is the Milwaukee closer automaticlaly worth squat? Is that what Kolb's 39 saves last year are worth? Adams is a good young pitcher with potential coming off a rookie season in which he threw about as many innings as Kolb with twice the K/9 (3.30 to 6.67), and a 3.40 ERA/1.21 WHIP to boot. Not a bad rookie season. In short, I believe the Milwaukee closer is worth something, you just have to monitor the situation and be sure that Adams does indeed hold onto the spot come spring training.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:45 pm

GSes wrote:right now pre spring

Cubs = Latroy Hawkins (dempster? lol come on)

Brewers = Mike adams

Totonto = Spier (frasor right behind him)

Arizona = Aquino (valverde right on his ass)

from what i've gathered in the local press, they won't let Hawkins get near the 9th. Also, not that it matters policy-wise, Lee Smith was quoted as saying something to the effect of, "He shouldn't be in there in the ninth, he knows he's not a closer." got a kick out of that one.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ironman » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:46 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Dempster stinks

Because we've seen so much of him in a closer role that we can offer a fair assessment.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby tiger spit » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:30 pm

so, botom line it looks like this huh:

TOR: Speier
ARI: Valverde and Aquino are in a dog fight till ST.
MIL: Adams, imo capellan at one point this season...
CUBS: Dempster'

look right?
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby io » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:39 pm

maloze wrote:so, botom line it looks like this huh:

TOR: Speier
ARI: Valverde and Aquino are in a dog fight till ST.
MIL: Adams, imo capellan at one point this season...
CUBS: Dempster'

look right?

looks ok with Dempster being the biggest question mark ... at least 2 of these teams should be a roller-coster

about Capellan, has their ever been a rookie to take over closer duties and stick with it long term? ... given the brew-crew's situation i wouldnt be surprised, but i can see him being used in middle-relief for a year or two (like santana or rafael soriano)... theres still the chance they want him as a starter
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers