Are Fishes good for a league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are Fishes good for a league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Are Fishes good for a league?

Postby stoner420 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:29 pm

my friend and i had a big debate about this today. I am the commish of a league that has been going on for 3 years. Last year was a great success except we had 2 people in the league who would rarely check there teams or post. This years league is a 50 dollar league. We are still trying to figure out exactly who will be in the league. A friend of mine who is in the league strongly thinks that i should invite one of the guys from last year who was very inactive and came in last. His arguement is that it will add more money into the pot and wont have any negative effects. I feel like it is more important to have everyone in the league be very active and competative, and if that means i get 50 less bucks when i win, then so be it. So what do u think? If you were me, would u want an extra 50 bucks in the league from someone u were sure was not gonna win or would u rather less players/money if it meant that everyone was fighting equally to win the league?
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:33 pm

we used to have that problem so we just raised the draft fee....if someone has to pay say 150 to 200 bucks they are more likely to pay attention all year.....if you don't want to raise the fees it is gonna be harder to find people who stay active all season long.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby Fool42 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:36 pm

Maybe with money on the line he would be more active and commited to winning. That being said I would rather have one less person. The guy that isn't active could cost you a money spot in the standings if it comes down to a forfiet in a H2H league or who knows how in other leagues. Anyway if money is on the line it would piss me off more.
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stoner420 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:50 pm

i dont think raising the money would work... cuz to be honest, if u are in last at the allstar break, if its 50 bucks or a 1000 bucks, it doesnt really matter, since theres no real chance of coming in first.
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:59 pm

You have to have a payout scale and prizes to keep people interested. Obviously if a team is brutally awful it will not matter, but I usually award money to the top 3 finshers, each month's winner and each week's winner (except the AS week). You would be surprised how much a $5-10 weekly prize can motivate people.

That said, it is better to get a player to fill out the league than to play short teams and be at 8 instead of 10 or 12. If the person is not active and competitive, that is sort of their problem. As long as he is the exceptionand and not the rule it really does not matter, IMO.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby daweasle » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:16 pm

I agree with the guys who said better to be a short league than to have crappy teams.

I believe in DEEP leagues - but if you cannot make one by having alot of owners - then give all the owners more players - IE maybe start 2C 2 1B 2 2B 2 3B etc etc 5 OF?
10-12pitchers

the worst part about having fish in the league - is they somehow figure out how to trade away their best players to the guy who ends up eventually winning the league.
That's not necessairly a bad thing - if you're the guy getting the good players - but it doesn't always happen that way. (And even if you are - it still sucks when the competitiveness of the league is compromised.)

(And the trade is never bad enuf to be vetoable - just close.)
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby reiser » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:36 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:You have to have a payout scale and prizes to keep people interested. Obviously if a team is brutally awful it will not matter, but I usually award money to the top 3 finshers, each month's winner and each week's winner (except the AS week). You would be surprised how much a $5-10 weekly prize can motivate people.

weekly winner? that sounds cool, how do you do that? we do Bonus Bucks (no hitter, 4 steals etc.), but that's just luck.
larry
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby grammysboy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:27 pm

reiser wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:You have to have a payout scale and prizes to keep people interested. Obviously if a team is brutally awful it will not matter, but I usually award money to the top 3 finshers, each month's winner and each week's winner (except the AS week). You would be surprised how much a $5-10 weekly prize can motivate people.

weekly winner? that sounds cool, how do you do that? we do Bonus Bucks (no hitter, 4 steals etc.), but that's just luck.
larry

I thought this was a neat idea too. We're trying something different in our auction leage this year - 5X5 Roto, the winner of each catagory gets $10. It probably pays the overall champion extra money, but there are some who will get some sort of pay back that may keep them interested throughout the season.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers