Bonds.....explain to me why he...? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds.....explain to me why he...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KULCAT » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:40 pm

I dont agree cubbie. The only reason he didnt hit 50 the last 2 years was because he gets walked so much. Alou is a good hitter but not enough to stop the avalanche of walks that its Bonds. As for his value, i had him last year and his average, because of his at bat problem, is the equivalent of a guy hitting .312. Good but doesnt make such a big difference
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mocabeenow » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:53 pm

I have no worries in Bonds. He is the one guy who you can count on to plop one into the bay. He is so good. I took him in the first round of a dynasty league, and i'm very happy to have him for the next couple of years.

I don't need projections for him, he's solid every year.

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:40 pm

After reading this thread... I guess Moises Alou is a top 15 OF? 8-o
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:11 pm

Purple Haze wrote:After reading this thread... I guess Moises Alou is a top 15 OF? 8-o

No, but he provides much greater protection than Pierzynski or whatever scrub we had behind bonds last year.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Amazinz wrote:There is a perception that Bonds is less valuable in 5x5 because of all the walks. It's not true but I think that's why he slips.

His walks definately hurt him in 5x5... his BA, while being near the top of the league every year, doesn't help as much as a guy with a much lower BA who has 200 more AB's than Bonds does. Ichiro's BA was twice as helpful as Bonds' last season.

I think the reason Bonds is never drafted very high is because of the walks, and because he's so old that you don't know if he'll miss significant time. Plus the steroids thing, plus some people are just against drafting him at all. I guess that would mean he's a big steal :-? But there's always a couple guys who fight over him, so I don't think there's much value to be had considering how high a draft pick you'd need to spend on him.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:45 pm

The biggest thing about Bonds, looking at him objectively, is that he is 40 years old. I cannot bet against him at this point because every year we are waiting for him to break down but it has not happened yet. However, it is inevitable that all athletes (especially 40 year olds) end up with some sort of physical ailment whether it is serious or not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:00 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Amazinz wrote:There is a perception that Bonds is less valuable in 5x5 because of all the walks. It's not true but I think that's why he slips.

His walks definately hurt him in 5x5... his BA, while being near the top of the league every year, doesn't help as much as a guy with a much lower BA who has 200 more AB's than Bonds does. Ichiro's BA was twice as helpful as Bonds' last season.

Ichiro was one of the few hitters last year who's BA had a better effect on a roto team than Bonds. Ichiro was phenomenal can't argue that but there weren't many others.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:07 pm

OK well you know what I mean... Bonds BB's hurt him a lot because his BA doens't help your team as much as players who are significantly below him in BA.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:34 pm

KULCAT wrote:I dont agree cubbie. The only reason he didnt hit 50 the last 2 years was because he gets walked so much. Alou is a good hitter but not enough to stop the avalanche of walks that its Bonds. As for his value, i had him last year and his average, because of his at bat problem, is the equivalent of a guy hitting .312. Good but doesnt make such a big difference
Eh, you can't just ignore the walks. Hes been getting walked his entire career. And no one feels suspicious that he was taking steroids during his best power numbers, and now hes almost certainly off them? That alone would worry me.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:49 pm

I tend to agree with that. There are several other factors -- age and people's opinion of him mainly -- but he is probably one of the most underrated fantasy players out there I would venture to say.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers