Rate the A's staff... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rate the A's staff...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate the A's staff...

Postby BeefSandwiches » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:42 pm

Known for pitching talent, the As have a new look rotation this year. Billy Beane had to have some faith in the guys he has to get rid of Mulder and Hudson. Which of these guys do you see making a solid fantasy contribution?

Zito - rough 2004 and now #1 spot doesn't give him a good outlook in 2005
Harden - probably the best value of the group, mid-teen wins and a decent ERA
Haren - nice addition and could compete with Harden for the #2 spot
Blanton - needs to show SOMETHING but not worth a roster spot
Meyer - 5th starter at best, most likely AAA
Duchscherer - likely will start in the bullpen but could make his way into the rotation
Yabu - likely 5th starter, but not worth touching
Etherton - couldn't possibly make the team

At least one of these guys has to emerge with some value given Moneyball's track record...what do you think?
BeefSandwiches
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:46 pm

I like your analysis here! I think that you aren't far off. Im a big A's fan, and I feel like I have a pretty good feel for these guys. I would draft Zito but as nothing more than my 3rd or 4th starter, and I would be fine with having Harden as a solid 3rd. I've said on numerous occasions in here that I believe Haren will post better numbers than Mulder this season, so I believe he is a great sleeper and worth maybe a bench spot, or 5 starter in a 12 or more team league. The others, let them stay on the waiver wire.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kage812004 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:04 pm

yeah, i have harden as my #3 starter(Oswalt, CLement, Harden, Pettite) i dont know much about Haren, what do u guys think of him and is he worth a spot and what round shoudl be the earliest u consider him??
kage812004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cordscords » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:44 pm

Not the "Big 3" anymore, but they are a solid 3 for sure.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby io » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:20 pm

Zito - i think he'll do great this year.. losing Hudson and Mulder will give him a kick in the ass to perform
Harden - should be great. nothings stopping him
Haren - i dont see him competing with Harden at all. he should be pretty good, but his stuff is not nearly as good. i see him competing more with Blanton and eventually Meyer for the 3rd spot
Blanton - he's worth a roster spot. he can hold his own and looks to be a horse. i think he'll eventually jump over Haren and give the A's something resembling a big 3 again (but not till 06.. give him a year)
Meyer - alot like Blanton.. they both should be inning eaters when they grow up.. i agree he should start in AAA but he's close to ready.. im getting ahead of myself, but maybe they'll be a big 4 someday
Duchscherer - i love this guy... i guess he'll be in the bullpen again, but if anybody falters maybe he'll get a shot
Yabu - i have no clue, total mystery... i guess he's the 5th starter right now. could be good, i dont know
Etherton - not sure, i know the A's are high on him but not sure why
Juan Cruz - i wonder how the A's view him and if he's destined to stay in relief forevor
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:36 pm

kage812004 wrote:yeah, i have harden as my #3 starter(Oswalt, CLement, Harden, Pettite) i dont know much about Haren, what do u guys think of him and is he worth a spot and what round shoudl be the earliest u consider him??

I would rather take him over Mulder, but mostly because I wont be drafting Mulder. I think he will put up good numbers. I would also think that he would go undrafted in many leagues. Take a flier on him for a bench spot, or spot start him against teams like Tampa.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GSes » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:01 am

Harden will emerge as the ACE of the team, I project him

17 wins
3.45 ERA
1.17 WHIP
180 K's

Zito should bounce back but won't return to his cy form
15 Wins
3.55 ERA
1.20 WHIP
180 K's

Danny Haren I kind of like, he might be a nice #5 fantasy starter
13 Wins
3.85 ERA
1.25 WHIP
170 K's

Joe Blanton, hmmmm he could emerge, he may not I will project, not worth a roster spot
11 Wins
4.40 ERA
1.35 WHIP
140 K's

Dan Meyer is hard to project b/c he isnt guarentted a rotation spot yet so he is a wait and see guy.

Yabu hmmmm
10 Wins
4.50 ERA
1.35 WHIP
135 K's

but hey Yabu could starty the year hot, b/c no one in the AL except Matsui and Ichiro have ever seen him before,

Hasegawa
Sasaki
Nomo
Takatsu

they were all unhitable in there first go around of the league. so u never know

The only 2 guys guarenteed to stay in the rotaion all year long are Zito and Harden

Meyer
Haren
Yabu
Blanton

who knows what will happen
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby red » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:44 pm

general note: I've never seen Blanton pitch nor Meyer; I have watched Haren pitch quite a few times and I have never really been impressed: certainly not as impressed as with Harden or Zito or guys like that. From what I read (read only, never seen them) this thread seems to devalue Blanton and Meyer and overvalue Haren a bit; remember haren wasn't the main part of that Mulder deal, the catching prospect was. Unlike Meyer-- main part of Hudson deal.
I think Haren may be overrated in this thread. Very middle-of the road stuff and never had any true string of success in StL.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers