Knowing what team the players in your league are fans of... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Knowing what team the players in your league are fans of...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby lesgrant » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:39 am

I have been able to exploit anti-Yankee bias (one or two picks each league) – especially in the middle rounds.

There is no such thing as someone who is unbiased, relative to team loyalties, about every player.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

League Fans

Postby PacmanJr » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:00 pm

Most of my league, are HUGE Astro fans. Wade Miller has gone WAY early the past two years. They LOVE to draft former Astros or prospects who were traded(Freddy Garcia). There are some Astro and Yankee fans. I am the lone Braves fan but have yet to draft a Brave in our league. :~(
PacmanJr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:10 pm

Serious players are not going to let this be a factor. I will draft Manny any day of the week if given the opportunity to get him in the mid to late first round for instance. I will not draft Jeter before the 40's overall and probably not even then because I just like big HR hitters more and do not buy into the position scarcity strategy at all.

I find owners are more biased towards guys that have hurt them in the past than towards what team the players are on. You lose a title because Soriano returns $18 in the first round and Sexson blows his shoulder checking a swing and guess what...I am not so high on either any more and want no part of Soriano round 1 or 2. Have a nice day but someone else can deal with that garbage.

I remember I would not draft Moyer at all for like 2 years after he did his implosion routine in 2000 right at the end of the year. Turns out he was hurt and Pineilla was sending the poor guy out their anyway...did not help my team with those 2 IP 9 ER performances he put up.

If you play with people long enough you tend to see which players they gravitate towards and which they want no part of. For instance, it is no secret in my money leagues that I hate Juan Pierre as a fnatasy player and will never draft him. A HR and RBI category destroyer. And the secret is more or less out on Soriano, though I would draft him if he fell far enough.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cooner » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:57 pm

can't use that strategy against me... i never get too excited about Pirates... !+)

On another note, this is especially easy to take advantage of in leagues with less knowledgable owners. I've noticed in one or two leagues that some owners simply aren't as well educated about players not from their team or division, which always helps.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:49 pm

I always have at least one Brave on my team, but the Braves are a good team so most good fantasy teams have a player or two. I remember taking Chipper and Maddux 1-2 in 2002. But I cant say I really over-value Braves. I think though that familiarity comes into play. I know the Braves players better than anyone else. Watching them 90 times a season I feel I can trust that player more than someone I may know only from their numbers. I also tend to draft Braves prospects more (as prospects) because I read about them and know them.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby JDD » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:12 pm

As a Dodger fan, I like to draft Adrian Beltre in the later rounds just because of my love for LA.

I usually get him right around round sixteen or seventeen.

I look forward to the same opportunity this year.

Or not.

Any chance he will last that long, like he has in the past? ;-7
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lesgrant » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:19 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Serious players are not going to let this be a factor. I will draft Manny any day of the week if given the opportunity to get him in the mid to late first round for instance. I will not draft Jeter before the 40's overall and probably not even then because I just like big HR hitters more and do not buy into the position scarcity strategy at all.

I find owners are more biased towards guys that have hurt them in the past than towards what team the players are on. You lose a title because Soriano returns $18 in the first round and Sexson blows his shoulder checking a swing and guess what...I am not so high on either any more and want no part of Soriano round 1 or 2. Have a nice day but someone else can deal with that garbage.

I remember I would not draft Moyer at all for like 2 years after he did his implosion routine in 2000 right at the end of the year. Turns out he was hurt and Pineilla was sending the poor guy out their anyway...did not help my team with those 2 IP 9 ER performances he put up.

If you play with people long enough you tend to see which players they gravitate towards and which they want no part of. For instance, it is no secret in my money leagues that I hate Juan Pierre as a fnatasy player and will never draft him. A HR and RBI category destroyer. And the secret is more or less out on Soriano, though I would draft him if he fell far enough.

Would you draft Pedro or Schilling, presuming both were healthy and at the top of their games as Red Sox? I would find someone else, with similar stats, available in that round. The risk of passing on them, within the context of the draft, would be minimal. There are too many comparable players within the context of any draft.

I guess, as a follow up question to everyone on the thread: Who are you more loyal to your fav team or your fantasy team?

If it came down to a sink or swim game that could put you in the winner's circle in your fantasy league and bounce your favorite team from the post season, or vice versa, who would you be rooting for - your starter to get a W and win the league for you or your favorite team winning the game and going on the playoffs?
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:32 pm

lesgrant wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Serious players are not going to let this be a factor. I will draft Manny any day of the week if given the opportunity to get him in the mid to late first round for instance. I will not draft Jeter before the 40's overall and probably not even then because I just like big HR hitters more and do not buy into the position scarcity strategy at all.

Would you draft Pedro or Schilling, presuming both were healthy and at the top of their games as Red Sox? I would find someone else, with similar stats, available in that round. The risk of passing on them, within the context of the draft, would be minimal. There are too many comparable players within the context of any draft.

I guess, as a follow up question to everyone on the thread: Who are you more loyal to your fav team or your fantasy team?

If it came down to a sink or swim game that could put you in the winner's circle in your fantasy league and bounce your favorite team from the post season, or vice versa, who would you be rooting for - your starter to get a W and win the league for you or your favorite team winning the game and going on the playoffs?

For me, I tend to tune out the regular season. If I see a box score and my team won, I'll think to myself, Cool, but I don't get very involved during the regular season. The regular season is fantasy baseball time, and I root for my fantasy team to win. During the playoffs, I can sit back and cheer on my real-life team, but during the regular season, I focus on fantasy. Yes, I know, 'tis evil and cold-hearted, but emotional attachments are not a luxury to be had in fantasy baseball.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Fool42 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:29 pm

As for Beltre. If you want him this year be prepared to spend a late first round or early second round pick on him. It depends on how many teams in you league but he is probably the 1st or second 3B being drafted. Rolen being the other guy.
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:05 pm

I will draft anyone based on talent. In fact, I had Schilling and Pedro on one team of mine last year as the price for both was right as they say. I won that league.

As to my team or my fantasy team...it is the Yanks all the way. Fantasy is nice...Pennants and rings are far far more important.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers