When is the right time to draft for your league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When is the right time to draft for your league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby redsox588 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:10 pm

Alright, I'll foward your advice on to the head of the league, thanks guys. Although since I crave a draft right now I was wondering if anyone would be interested in getting a mock draft going, and wondering how that would work.
RED SOX '04 CHAMPS
redsox588
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xeifrank » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:35 pm

Personally, I like to wait until the weekend prior to opening day, so you can atleast know who made the roster and who got cut, and get a feel for who improved their draft position by having a good spring.

I like to be rewarded for actually keeping track of what is happening during spring training, even though some of what goes on doesn't matter.

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:41 pm

John Bonzo wrote:i would recommend definitely waiting for spring training. My favorite time is around two weeks before opening day, that way people are aware of most of the spring training injuries and the free agents have all signed.

Agreed. This is when we do our money league draft. It's a good time because you have some time to tweak your team and sweeten the pot with some pre-season activities. Makes Spring Training much more enjoyable to follow too.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby daweasle » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:01 am

I would say the best time to draft is whenever EVERYONE can be there. Theres nothing like having a manager try to draft over the phone or (worse) chat room.

Sure ideal time is a week or two before opening day - BUT sometimes things don't work out to make that happen.

My league is 16 teams (meaning 16 managers who all have to work around schedules and real life) plus we have tradition that we always have it at a restaurant downtown - so we have to see when they have space available.

As long as everyone is notified ahead of time - it's equally fair to everyone even if you have to have it WAY EARLY or LAST MINUTE>

(I mean I don't know about you - but I feel like early might be better - since I know I will keep track of what i expect to happen in spring training - as opposed to some managers who show up at the draft with a baseball magazine in hand and haven't even thought about baseball since doug mietiekiwitz caught the last out in the ninth.)
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby JDD » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:21 pm

My favorite draft day:

The next to last Sunday Night before Opening Day.

Fast live draft of course.

That gives you time to gather your thoughts, yet half of Spring Training is over so you have a chance to avoid anyone who gets hurt along the way.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lesgrant » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:27 pm

I always go for the weekend before opening day, usually the Sat. morning.

But it’s like extending Xmas eve for an entire month.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:11 pm

I'm surprised that no one said that they like to draft early, like Feb early. Because the GMs that really do their homework will come out better if the draft is early. If you wait to see how people do in ST then the word gets out and everyone knows who's hot and guys who normally are sleepers at this time of the year aren't anymore because they have a good spring. Also players can get hurt the first week or two of the regular season and it would be no different than if he got hurt during ST. With all of this said I would perfer to draft a couple weeks before the season starts but I definately can see the reasoning behind drafting really early. Just some thoughts....

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers