Graphic Designers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Graphic Designers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Graphic Designers

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:21 pm

There are lots of cool banners/logos made by many cafe regulars, which leads me to ask, are you guys who make them in the graphic design field?

The reason I ask, is because I will be attending college in the fall in Minnesota in a 12 month ($21,000) accredited program that will teach me all the major areas of graphic design (web development with HTML, design and color, Typography, drawing, comprehensive illustration, desktop publishing, electronic drawing, multimedia and anamation, electronic layout and design, web design for graphic designers) and wanted to get a "feel" for what the industry has to offer, etc.

Again, I just wanted to get a grasp on what short term and long term the industry has to offer me straight from the experiences of others in the field already.

I also should add I already have a BS degree in journalism from an accredited U of Wisconsin school.

Thanks! ;-D

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Rico The Retard » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:41 pm

hey Joe how many homers ya gonna get this year im expecting at least from ya
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Joe Mauer » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:24 pm

Depends on my knee. I am not known as a huge power guy.....but I can get it out evey now and then. I'd say 15. I'm health and ready to go.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Re: Graphic Designers

Postby blankman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:00 am

Joe Mauer wrote:There are lots of cool banners/logos made by many cafe regulars, which leads me to ask, are you guys who make them in the graphic design field?

The reason I ask, is because I will be attending college in the fall in Minnesota in a 12 month ($21,000) accredited program that will teach me all the major areas of graphic design (web development with HTML, design and color, Typography, drawing, comprehensive illustration, desktop publishing, electronic drawing, multimedia and anamation, electronic layout and design, web design for graphic designers) and wanted to get a "feel" for what the industry has to offer, etc.

Again, I just wanted to get a grasp on what short term and long term the industry has to offer me straight from the experiences of others in the field already.

I also should add I already have a BS degree in journalism from an accredited U of Wisconsin school.

Thanks! ;-D

I can't say I have a clue about graphic design, other than what I made out of my sig, something I learned to do in a few hours (wasn't that hard except dealing with her hair in "cutting her out" of pictures). It sounds like an interesting program and you'll certainly learn a lot of cool and advanced stuff. I just hope it's worth the money :-o

If nothing more, this is a bump ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby JTWood » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:00 am

I guess I'll throw my two cents in here since this thread really hasn't gone anywhere (thanks, Rico).

My wife is a senior at UMSL majoring in Graphic Design. She is currently working part-time as an ad designer for a small, free paper. She only makes about $10 an hour, but she figured it would be good for her resume.

For about 6 months, we've been considering whether or not she should go into the field when she graduates or whether we should start our business. We've been on the fence on the issue for a while, but just the other day, her work did something to solidify our decision.

They hired a new worker. This worker was a guy who had just graduated from UMSL with a GD degree. He started at $9/hour.

:-/

She's not discouraged by this, but I think that helped her to see that starting her own publication would be, at the very least, taking matters into her own hands and not hoping that the market will bear another designer when she gets out. She's talented, and she's an extremely hard worker. I'm sure she could get a good job, but she likes the idea of being her own boss.

I don't know if that helps you with "what the industry has to offer," but I'll add this one last thing. In researching all types of publications, we've found that starting up your own paper/magazine/booklet is very, very cheap, and potentially very, very profitable if you have all of the necessary tools to do the work yourself. You sound like you just might have all of those tools - writing skills, creativity, web knowledge. Also, if you have good sales skills, you can start up a "free" publication that makes its money strictly from ad revenue.

Just something you might want to consider...

Hope that helped and good luck!

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby RyanK » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:39 am

my friend went to syracuse and now is an intern at espn, along with other interns hes had.. still on the not getting paid aspect, but you can make alot of money from it. heres his site:
http://www.gmuellerdesign.com

he explains some of the details of grapich design
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:53 am

JTWood wrote:I guess I'll throw my two cents in here since this thread really hasn't gone anywhere (thanks, Rico).

LMAO
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Return to General Talk