People sure are quick to say the Cleveland offense is good.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

People sure are quick to say the Cleveland offense is good..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

People sure are quick to say the Cleveland offense is good..

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:30 am

Lineup according to Rototimes - comments according to me:

1 Coco Crisp - made strides/unproven
2 Aaron Boone - injury questions - can he return?
3 Victor Martinez - made strides/unproven
4 Travis Hafner - made strides/unproven
5 Ben Broussard - made strides/unproven
6 Casey Blake - consistently improving/appears dependable
7 Ronnie Belliard - career year last year
8 Grady Sizemore - unproven
9 Jhonny Peralta - unproven

While that lineup has a HUGE upside, what are the chances that they all work out like we think they can? That is an extremely young and inexperienced lineup.

I'm not saying they won't be good, I'm saying beware of the volatility. They could just as easily be the most disappointing offense as the most improved.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:50 am

They scored a ton of runs last year and this year they added Aaron Boone. It's not about flash; those 3-4-5-6 hitters can definately hit. Losing Lawton hurts, but Boone replaces him in the lineup so it isn't that bad. I don't think Crisp and Belliard are as good as they played last year though.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:30 pm

In Cleveland we are seeing the lineup a little differently. I think it will go
Crisp CF
Belliard 2B
Victor C
Juan Gone RF
Hafner DH
Blake LF
Broussard 1B
Boone 3B
Perralta SS

Gonzalez and Hafner may be flipped. This is if Gonzalez can stay healthy. This lineup looks better than last year, but I don't know how we scored so many runs last year. Victor and Hafner are the only ones who excite me. All of the other ones look like good mid to late round picks.
Jonathan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby eftda » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:34 pm

The tribe is my pick for the Central. They can do everything but win in october.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:27 pm

Why do people bother to use the phrase "unproven"? Guys with minor league experience are not unproven. Their minor league numbers either prove they are a hitter or prove they are not.

I'm not sure why anyone would doubt the Indians offense. They finished fifth in runs last year. They should be able to do that again, easily.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:10 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Why do people bother to use the phrase "unproven"? Guys with minor league experience are not unproven. Their minor league numbers either prove they are a hitter or prove they are not.

I'm not sure why anyone would doubt the Indians offense. They finished fifth in runs last year. They should be able to do that again, easily.

Hmm. I can't think of a better single word to mean "they did it one year in the majors, but have yet to do it consistently in the majors."

I doubt the Indians offense because many of their players fall into this category. I actually like a lot of their hitters, but the chances of most of them repeating or improving doesn't seem likely. But if it happens, you're right - they would be 5th best in the league easy.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:25 am

People say unproven even with minor league numbers because they are well... unproven. Many players can produce in the minors but fail in the majors. Also, very few major leaguers are consistent. That being said, hitters are more consistent than pitchers, and one good hitting team is usually a good hitting team the next year.

Yes, there are alot of question marks on the Cleveland team, but with so many players with huge upsides, if only 2-3 meet potential that line-up will score some runs. Counting on Gonzalez to be injury-free is a little too optimistic... the guy's career is most likely over.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BGbootha » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:30 am

unproven = adj : not proved; "unproved allegations"; "unproved assumptions"

I am pretty sure thats the exact word to use here, the fact is most of those guys have had either one good season or a good minor league career and have in fact yet to validate the ability to do it again this year. While I would argue that Clevelend has a huge upside and could very easily turn out to be a top notch offense if the keys work right. We must also agree that they could easily end up garbage. They are simply 'unproven.'
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SilentReader » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:39 pm

i find it interesting that neither of the 2 lineups posted in this thread include jody gerut...
i don't post much,but i'm always lurking...

best fantasy games site = SandboxPlus.com!!
SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:44 pm

SilentReader wrote:i find it interesting that neither of the 2 lineups posted in this thread include jody gerut...

Rototimes has him listed as the 4th OF (maybe even 5th, depending on Juan Gone's status). I would expect him to get a fair share of PT though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers