Just Finished Draft .. Opinions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Just Finished Draft .. Opinions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just Finished Draft .. Opinions

Postby L0rdB23 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:52 am

11 Team 3 Player Keeper

Hit Cat's-R, H, 2B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG
Pit Cat's-IP, W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA, WHIP, CG

C-Varitek
1B-D. Lee
2B-Womack
SS-Rollins
3B-Chipper
OF-Abreu
OF-Cabrera
OF-Sosa
OF-Finley
MI-Lugo
CS-Overbay
DH-Durazo

SP-Wood
SP-Buehrle
SP-Maddux
SP-Penny
SP-Eaton
RP-Gagne
RP-Hoffman
RP-Cliff Lee

1-Vizquel 2-Mueller 3-Milton 4-Byrd 5-V Zambrano 6-Suppan
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just Finished Draft .. Opinions

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 am

L0rdB23 wrote:11 Team 3 Player Keeper

Hit Cat's-R, H, 2B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG
Pit Cat's-IP, W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA, WHIP, CG

1-Vizquel 2-Mueller 3-Milton 4-Byrd 5-V Zambrano 6-Suppan

Are 1-6 your reserves? When did you draft? Great grab on Byrd as I'm assumeing he was a late round pick before signing with the Angels. Eaton usually starts off the year with a few good outings, but I'm guessing around mid to late May you will be useing Byrd in Eaton's spot more often than not.

Womack will have a serious decrease in value IMHO. He wont bat lead off as I understand, and will bat near the bottom of the lineup as well as not geting to steal nearly as much as last year.

Is your league 5 game or 10 game eligibility rules? If it is 10 and Womack doesnt perform like last year you could find yourself haveing to use Mueller at 2B and haveing either, no 3B to back up Chipper, or no OF to back up Cabrerea shifting him to 3B as Lugo only played 8 at 2B last year. All that to say your roster flexibility might not be as secure as you think if you are banking on Womack repeating last years numbers.

Your SP is very solid and should keep you competetive in most categories, mainly with Gagne and Hoffman's high K rates to compliment a few of your control SP that help mostly in WHIP and ERA. With BB as a pitching category (Why BTW, as WHIP is already a category) Maddox should have even a little more value than he does in 5X5 roto leagues. The Mets offensive boost should help V. Zambrano get a few more wins here and there, but he should be used primarily for matchups against weaker lineups to help your strikeouts.

As good as Gagne and Hoffman are, you dont need to trade for a closer, but keep a dilligent watch on the waiver wire as getting 15-30 extra saves through 1 lucky gem or several different closer of the week waiver pickups would almost gaurantee you stayed near the top of the Saves category.

Also, Abreu and Finley are notorious slow starters and seem to always have horrible April's to start every season. Dont sell low on either unless you get a very tempting offer for Finley. It is hard to bench a player like Abreu but you might want to keep Finley reserved for the first few weeks of the season unless he adjusts well in Anaheim and starts off hot. Starting off hot I think is unlikely even playing in one of the better lineups he has been a part of.

OF is definately your strength with Varitek at C and D. Lee at 1B helping alot also but SP is where you are deepest at. You might want to consider tradeing a pitcher to get a 2B, MI, or OF to help out with your roster flexibility.

All in all that is a very well rounded team and probably a top 5 team if not better. The game is wild and unpedictable though, so who knows what could happen? I think you have the foundation to be very competetive though.

Good Luck.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mpoland92 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:42 am

ur offense with varitek, lee, chipper, abreu, m.cab, finley and sosa(maybe) should do you well..... but ur SP leaves some big ?'s as far as health wise in Wood and Penny but if they produce like we know they can you should be ok, and ur RP is pretty decent, like I said these are just my opinions, Im no expert by any means.... good luck this season
mpoland92
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby L0rdB23 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:55 am

thanks for your input guys.. it was honest and helpful and i can tell Bukoski77 took a lot of time and effort and i like seein that on these boards.. thanks alot
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby L0rdB23 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:57 am

o and 1-6 ios reserves but its a daily transaction league so i can rotate all the starters in and out daily and also i drafted just a few days ago.. the 21st
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Balco » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:04 pm

Id look for a strong starter maybe try to use Sosa as some trade bait thats what i thnk ofense looks good though

-Balco ;-D
Balco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JDD » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:49 am

Another middle of the pack roster hits the boards....

Nice bullpen, but your hitting won't be enough to overcome your question marks in the rotation.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:56 am

Why do you use IP as a scoring catagory?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kentx12 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:37 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Why do you use IP as a scoring catagory?

I am in a league that uses ip it isnt that bad.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby io » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:00 pm

you need an ace or a couple good pitchers... offense looks great, but dump womack for anything.... im not high on Finley, id offer him and another hitter for a good pitcher
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team