What is your position of expertise? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is your position of expertise?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:02 pm

Doggie style mostly...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:13 pm

SP
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby shortsavage » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:36 pm

I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been locked yet ;-) .

I like studying up on solid outfielders who are on the verge of becoming elite sluggers.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby whitesox04champs » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:39 pm

shortsavage wrote:I like studying up on solid outfielders who are on the verge of becoming elite sluggers.

Same ;-D

There is so much talent in the outfield position..........
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:32 am

Well not a particular position, but I love finding veteran players that have always had great percentages and ratios in part time / platoon / or due to injurt shortened seasons. Or up and comeing young players who finally get their first season of 550AB's.

K-Rod is probably a house hold name going into this season as a closer. Before this year he was a great value pick in roto leagues for savy owners to buy cheap or real late in the draft and essentialy have 15 starts worth of 1st tier pitching numbers after his 84INN 4W's 12S's 123K's 1.821ERA and 1.000WHIP

Mark Lorretta was no surprise to most fantasy veterans even before last year going way back to 2003. I dont think even most of the super optimists anticipated last year's break out, but he was considered a draft steal as many predicted they could and did get him late in the drafts.

David Ortiz broke out huge last year. I wasnt a believer (pity me :~( ) and saw him going anywhere from the 8th - 12th round of snake drafts.

This year for a few heads up value picks.

Todd Walker - 2B Cubs. I am still seeing him rated outside of most peoples top 10 2B. Look for .280AVE 90R 20HR 85RBI batting with the protection in that lineup.

Bartolo Colon - SP Angels. Had a rough adjustment and most owners were dissappointed and turned off bye his NL to AL 1st half drop in numbers last year. He found his stride after the all-star break and you can probably expect close to his 2004 post all star numbers like last year's 16GS 12W 4L 104INN 82K's and 3.83ERA.

Well there is no particular position I'm good at, my favorite is finding players who's name recognition has dropped due to platoon situations getting a shot as the every day player and 550+ AB's.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:08 am

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby LBJackal » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:17 am

Me on the bottom... I hate doing all the work.

But anyway, I usually have strong RP's. I like to pick out the bargain ones that aren't getting the hype instead of paying for the Gagne/Izzy/Rivera types. Last year turned out well with nathan and Cordero on most of my teams, but then again those late round fliers on David Riske didn't turn out so well. At least avoiding Arthur Rhodes like the plague was beneficial.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby looptid » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:05 pm

I've been fortunate in targeting saves the last three seasons.

First Closer Drafted:
2002- Guardado (45) - 18th Round
2003 - Foulke (43) - 12th Round
2004 - Nathan (44) - 11th Round

Of course, I follow the Twins more closely than other teams, not that I draft as a homer (I hope), but just that I might be more on top of who has locked up the job heading out of spring training. So that might have something to do with it. But on the other hand, it has convinced me never to spend a high draft pick on a closer, via keepers, or in the early stages of the draft.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matmat » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:08 pm

Yoda wrote:Doggie style mostly...

see, that's just so wrong, o' wrinkly one. poor puppet
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mojowitt » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:45 pm

I seem to be good (lucky) with grabbing players in the late rounds who've been given up on because they had a run of injuries, bad luck, personality conflicts, etc and end up getting great value on them. For instance, in the last few years, Ive gotten Beltre, L. Walker, M. Clement, M. Bradley, Berroa, Womack and Smoltz all in late rounds and they easily exceeded their projected value. This year, I'll be taking chances on Griffey (as long as he's your fourth OF, why not? Just play him until he gets hurt...), Kearns, Preston Wilson, A. Burnett, and J. Uribe. We'll see if my luck holds out. But if you take guys like these in the late rounds and one or two work out for you, its worth it even if a few fold on ya.
mojowitt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers