Joel Guzman, Milledge, Hamels - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Joel Guzman, Milledge, Hamels

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which one?

Hamels
33%
Guzman
67%

Total votes : 9

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:59 pm

bigken117 wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:shockwave league rules say that owners are not allowed to ask around about minor league players. :-b

this is for something else :-o

ok ok. you are off the hook. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:19 am

warrick95 wrote:Milledge
Guzman
Hamels

I'm high on Milledge. I've also invested about $250 in baseball cards of him, so I have a reason to love the man. Anyway, he has great speed, projects to hit for power as well. If you want to call him the next anything, call him a poor man's Griffey, Jr. I think he'll top out at 35 homers, but he could very well steal a good 20-25 bases a year. He'll also hit over .300, making him more of a 5 category player than Beltran. He's great defensively, like Cam, but will probably be a better hitter than him. Milledge could very well fill out and hit more homers. He hit an impressive amount for a rather short season last year due to injuries...

He definitely needs to work on his plate discipline, though. Lastings did take great steps in that. The 5-category tool set is most definitely there. He's the toolsiest kid in the minors. Period.

Guzman has gaudy power...but his maturity is a concern. He can be compared to Beltre in that sense. Guzman has freakish power and will prob. move to 3B.

Hamels is a top pitching prospect, but the injury risk is a problem. I also tend to prefer hitters to pitchers anyway (plus lower risk) and those two other guys are gaudy prospects. Having them above Hamels is more praise to them than taking something away from Cole. He projects as a better prospect for a team than in fantasy because he is a lefty.

hehe, toolsiest :-b
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:09 pm

Here's how I'll go:

Hamels (Johan Santana of the NL in time when healthy. Santana had as many injury concerns coming up. I saw him in spring training last year & I'd argue with anyone he was the most talented SP on the Phillies then. I'm not a big SP prospect guy, but I believe Felix, Cain and Hamels are the top 3 arms)

Guzman (I'll never go with a LA hitting prospect. He should be a .270 30 HR 3rd baseman & looks like one of the Top 5 3B prospects)

Milledge (I want to see him at a higher level first, but Mike Cameron is a good comparison).
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:56 pm

Milledge hit .337 at low-A before running into some rough times at high-A...how is that Cameronlike? They may both be great athletes, good with the glove, power/speed, but Milledge will become much more advanced a player at the plate. Lastings does need to work on drawing more walks and being more patient at the plate, but most believe he is a top 10-15 prospect in the minors (BA), with tools to project into a superb player. Poor man's Griffey is a better comparison.

Ensanimal, you're killing me, man. :-D I'm going to keep my eyes peeled so I can get on your case, too. ;-D
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball