Calculating $$$ Values - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calculating $$$ Values

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Calculating $$$ Values

Postby mblax10 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Do you know in March if you'll be in the top or bottom cluster in October?
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbird669 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:33 pm

This is a GREAT post that I stumbled on 7 years after the fact and it's still very useful. I do want to throw in one wrinkle: How does this change with keeper values?
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Do the $ amounts the same, just add a category for age, and if two players are similar, go for the younger player
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby flloyd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:31 pm

You're thinking of the problem of draft inflation. A Google search will help you but here are some quick links.

http://www.stallvalue.com/svedi.htm
http://www.kffl.com/a.php/95270/mlb/How ... -inflation
http://www.lastplayerpicked.com/keeping-better-players/
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mdecav » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:53 pm

jbird669 wrote:This is a GREAT post that I stumbled on 7 years after the fact and it's still very useful. I do want to throw in one wrinkle: How does this change with keeper values?

Step 1: You run the values of all hitters/pitchers as if there are no keepers. Say the sum is $1000.

Step 2: For those players who are keepers, exchange their values in Step 1 for their keeper values. Your total sum of all players in Step 2 is now, say $900.

Step 3: For those players who are not keepers, you now need to evenly inflate the players who are not keepers a certain percentage, which will be HIGHER than ($1000/$900) because you are not inflating the keepers. You will have to play with that percentage so that total value of all players (keepers and non-keepers) equal $1000.
mdecav
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby germani40 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Has anyone come up with the baseline numbers for this season yet? I went through and did mine roughly but they seem off and I was wondering if anyone had done it and I could compare.

When I do it I get a range then go deeper and look at the data then choose the number that best fits. The one that jumps out to me is the 100-110 RBI baseline for 1B but every time I look at the data it makes sense.
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Is that looking at the top 12 per position? How does it deal with multi-position players? And CI/MI/Util spots? Separating the cutoff by position for each stat seems like it's doing more harm than good to creating player values and is putting way too much emphasis on positional value.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby germani40 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Is that looking at the top 12 per position? How does it deal with multi-position players? And CI/MI/Util spots? Separating the cutoff by position for each stat seems like it's doing more harm than good to creating player values and is putting way too much emphasis on positional value.

Its top 12 based on position. Our league doesnt include MI CI spots so I didnt. For the Util i just do best remaining available players. Multi position players I handle differently. Its not the way that most people probably do but its how I always did it in the past. What I do it is I use players at their most valuable spot. If they have multiple valuable spots like Zobrist I include him in both 2B and SS but not OF. Someone like Carlos Santana or Joe Mauer I dont include in the first base calculations.
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 98)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers